Samsung to Cancel All Unconfirmed Pre-orders for Troubled $2000 Galaxy Fold

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Samsung’s Galaxy Fold was meant to jumpstart the folding-phone revolution, but all it has done is embarrass the smartphone giant. Reviewers noted the device can barely hold itself together, as they experienced bulging screens and other defects such as flickering with the initial units that went out last month.

Having already admitted to these failures, Samsung shared more bad news this week with prospective buyers, advising pre-order customers via e-mail Monday their orders would be “canceled automatically” unless they contacted the company. The Galaxy Fold was originally scheduled to ship on May 31, but Samsung has little idea when the device will reach customers now.

Though the issue does not hurt Samsung’s balance sheet, the postponement damages the firm’s efforts to portray itself as an innovative first-mover, analysts have said. Samsung has said it plans to make at least 1 million Fold handsets in the first year, versus the total 300 million phones it produces annually on average. It closed Galaxy Fold pre-orders earlier due to what it said was “high demand”.

Given the "issues" this was probably unavoidable. I'm still curious how they thought this was going to go though.....laptops fold a screen with data connections in a completely different way...that is why they last. This....with current materials?

Even then, laptops wear out the way they are designed and built. This idea from Samsung is kind of a cool concept, but obviously doomed to fail.

Samsung is the company that I expect this tech from but I think they jumped the gun on releasing it too soon. But I'm sure they'll perfect it soon enough.

Last edited:
Samsung is the company that I expect this tech from but I think they jumped the gun on releasing it to soon. But I'm sure they'll perfect it soon enough.
Agreed. As cool as it looks, they need to sink a few more $ into R&D and come up with a better solution.

Become a Patron!
Back