Western Digital’s “5400 RPM” Hard Drives May Actually Be 7200 RPM

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
wd-red-nas-drives-1024x576.jpg
Image: Western Digital

If you buy a 5400 RPM hard drive from Western Digital, you’re getting a hard drive that spins at 5400 RPM, right? Not necessarily. According to users on r/DataHoarder and Hardwareluxx, the storage giant has been mislabeling a handful of its HDDs. More specifically, certain 7200 RPM hard drives are being sold as 5400 RPM.

This is a problem because faster isn’t always better. While 7200 RPM drives offer (slightly) faster read and write speeds, they’re louder and consume more power, too. Neither is desirable for those of us who prefer quieter, more efficient storage systems (e.g., NAS servers).

The...

Continue reading...

Curses WD, my brothers computer is too fast now!
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Good one.

Although, as Tsing stated, some wish to have quieter more efficient drives in NAS servers or surveillance systems etc...

I don't know that a 5400 drive will last any longer than a 7200 drive but possibly.

This is pretty slimy. WD has developed a reputation of not delivering the product it advertises. I would not be purchasing WD products if I was a commercial buyer.

Free performance, oh noes!

I don't believe 7200 vs 5400 makes much difference in heat for these types of drives. Now, 10k and 15k rpm is a different story!

Become a Patron!
Back