No Game Pass for PlayStation 5: Sony Calls Microsoft’s Subscription Service “Unsustainable”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
sony-playstation-5-family-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

Xbox Game Pass seems like a pretty sweet deal. For a relatively low monthly cost, Microsoft’s subscription service grants users a generous catalog of high-quality games, which include titles from first-party publishers (e.g., 343 Industries, Playground Games) on the day of release. We’ve been wondering whether PlayStation gamers will be getting a similar service, but according to PlayStation boss Jim Ryan, that’s not happening.

In an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, Ryan suggested that a “PlayStation Game Pass” isn’t really something that Sony could afford. The executive pointed out that first-party titles cost them a ton of money, so if the company were to go the Microsoft route (e.g., letting...

Continue reading...

I'm sure if MS finds success with their revamped GamePass for Series S|X, Sony will find a way to make a similar program work.

Off the top of my head - I'm thinking 1st party titles could be setup similar to how Disney handled Mulan. When the game releases, you'd pay full price for the title, but after 6-12 months the 'base' version of the game unlocks on PS Plus but any add-ons/DLC will still cost money. As it stands now, Sony usually heavily discounts their first party software during their 'days of play' promos (or whatever its called).

But who knows, maybe the increased development costs would prevent such a scenario from working.

The difference being that MS can lose billions and not even blink or care. Sony doesn't have deep pockets like that, almost like an actual business? Compared to whatever MS is

The difference being that MS can lose billions and not even blink or care. Sony doesn't have deep pockets like that, almost like an actual business? Compared to whatever MS is
Sony's gaming division makes twice the money that Microsoft's does, but Microsoft is certainly a much bigger company.

The streaming subscription music model is unsustainable and could never replace CDs.
The streaming subscription video model is unsustainable and could never replace DVD/Blurays.
The phone app subscription model is unsustainable because people prefer to buy their apps as a one time expense.

Don't worry, we make good decisions when we go our own way like the MiniDisc, Memory Stick and Betamax.

This is accurate. However, M$ isn’t always right. Look at HD-DVD vs BluRay. Sony got that one right.

I can only hope that both methods of monetization yield interesting, high quality solo play experiences. Ghosts of Tsushima has been worth the 60$ and I have enjoyed Sony’s other games like SpiderMan and God of War a lot as well.

This is accurate. However, M$ isn’t always right. Look at HD-DVD vs BluRay. Sony got that one right.

I can only hope that both methods of monetization yield interesting, high quality solo play experiences. Ghosts of Tsushima has been worth the 60$ and I have enjoyed Sony’s other games like SpiderMan and God of War a lot as well.
Ironic that Microsoft was the first to market with a console that came with a UHD Blu-ray drive while Sony refused to put one into the PS4.

Become a Patron!
Back