Adding Cooling Pads Could Shave 8°C off GeForce RTX 3080 Temps

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-flipped-interface-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

An inevitable side effect of increased power consumption is increased generation of heat. The latest RTX 30 Series cards are already breaking records for power consumption. NVIDIA was so aware of this it even redesigned the cooling solution for these Ampere-based cards. One thing that is also known is that the PC community is full of individuals who will modify just about anything in order to gain some extra performance. Recently, a number of videos have popped up showing how to disassemble or tear down this new powerhouse. Well, Igor Wallossek has taken it a step further to show how an old and inexpensive trick can still provide impressive results.

Igor has been busy with the RTX 3080, as we all...

Continue reading...

Who tears apart a brand new $700 video card and voids their warranty just to add some cooling stickies?

Also, video is in German, yo. My high school german class didn't help me much.

Who tears apart a brand new $700 video card and voids their warranty just to add some cooling stickies?

Also, video is in German, yo. My high school german class didn't help me much.
Someone who's tried overclocking it only to get throttled by temps. NV, nor anyone else, is going to shed a tear just because a user couldn't get beyond a thermal threshold. Not to mention, those interested in getting performance without cranking fans, either on the card or a radiator, will be able to enjoy a little less noise from these stickies. I haven't gone to liquid yet but I'm aware a lot of people do it just for that.

I know the video is in german but chrome/google translate does an o.k. job for his actual web post while watching the video can help those not used to doing such simple tricks. Click the link in the article and you'll see.

I know the video is in german but chrome/google translate does an o.k. job for his actual web post while watching the video can help those not used to doing such simple tricks. Click the link in the article and you'll see.
Clicking the English flag is effective ;)

I haven't gone to liquid yet but I'm aware a lot of people do it just for that.
AIOs are night and day next to air coolers for GPUs, and while there's usually a bit of a premium, it's the difference between hearing the GPU cooling ramp up under moderate loads versus being able to sustain speeds above common boost levels indefinitely, while silent.

So long as there's space for it, it's usually the best option.

This seems like a stupid cost saving measure quite honestly. Luckily for them the card is great even if its entirely unavailable.

AIOs are night and day next to air coolers for GPUs, and while there's usually a bit of a premium, it's the difference between hearing the GPU cooling ramp up under moderate loads versus being able to sustain speeds above common boost levels indefinitely, while silent.

Arctic Accelero Xtreme says otherwise with fans on max.
You are right for a lot of coolers supplied with gfx cards tho, but the Xtreme coolers are super quiet, especially good as they are better coolers as well and dont cost much!
Decent AIO coolers run even cooler but are nowhere near as reliable or cheap.

These cooling pads are really helpful. I have been using one throughout this summer and it has really made a great difference in my computer performance.

Arctic Accelero Xtreme says otherwise with fans on max.
You are right for a lot of coolers supplied with gfx cards tho, but the Xtreme coolers are super quiet, especially good as they are better coolers as well and dont cost much!
Decent AIO coolers run even cooler but are nowhere near as reliable or cheap.
If you can get the AIO as a package pre-installed, which is what I mean in general as opposed to retrofitting one, you've got the quietest, highest-boosting retail solution supposing that your build can support the AIO.

However, if you're going to retrofit something on, the Arctic Accelero line does seem like a great option, especially for more compact builds. I'd have to hear one for myself to be sure, but I'm also honestly intrigued by a quieter blower.

This seems like a stupid cost-saving measure quite honestly. Luckily for them, the card is great even if it's entirely unavailable.
I would argue that it depends on both the card's cooling solution and the case it's going into. These cards are running a bit hot under load, as was Turing, and being able to take off upwards 10c is significant either from an OC perspective or just wanting that extra bit of silence. I don't see any difference with someone who uses a different TIM on their CPU than the one that came with it and that can be a lot more expensive.

Obviously not the exact same, but I've got an EVGA 2080 Super whose cooling solution is just shy of what I'd consider optimal, and something like this could help keep those fans from always needing to crank to the max. For someone where everything is doing what they need, sure don't mess with perfection otherwise a little bit of change could make the needed difference.

I've owned EVGA Hybrids of both 980Ti and 1080 Vanilla cards and can say they are only slightly quieter than the triple fan setups. One of the biggest benefits to water cooling, including AIOs, is the ability to dissipate the heat directly out of the case through the radiator which does have benefits of keeping the inside of the case cooler.

I've owned EVGA Hybrids of both 980Ti and 1080 Vanilla cards and can say they are only slightly quieter than the triple fan setups. One of the biggest benefits to water cooling, including AIOs, is the ability to dissipate the heat directly out of the case through the radiator which does have benefits of keeping the inside of the case cooler.
I got to admit they sustain boosts better but I agree in terms of quiet. I really think those AIO cards only make a ton of sense if you plan on pushing that thing hard. I will say the EVGA hybrid cards always catch my interest.

Become a Patron!
Back