Mafia: Definitive Edition

MadMummy76

FPS Junkie
This just came out, I wasn't even expecting it yet.
But now that it's here, has anyone played it yet?

So I've started playing it. And I'm not happy. It's not all bad, but there are certain issues. Like cut content.

• Most of the driving missions are completely cut out of the game,
  • and even the ones that aren't cut you are not doing any driving in. For example "Trip to the country"
  • And the few missions where driving is left in it is badly scripted set pieces instead of actual sandbox based driving.
  • Even the race has set pieces that trigger on each lap at the exact same point every time.

And then there are narrative changes, the people who wrote this either don't understand the original, or are ****ing with the fans of the original deliberately.

Many of the dialogues are rewritten, so that their brilliant nuances are lost completely. I thought I had gone insane and it's only my memory that made the original seem brilliant, I had to watch the dialogue of the original on youtube to check and I was right, it's still brilliant.

And it's not minor things either, the very nature of the characters are changed by this, and there is even a huge narrative change that was completely different than in the original, so much so that it affects the ending of the game. Now I wonder if they changed the ending completely or what. I have my suspicions, and none of them good, (I haven't finished it yet)

Gameplay wise there are good news and bad news, but more on that in the full review.

So I've started playing it. And I'm not happy. It's not all bad, but there are certain issues. Like cut content.

• Most of the driving missions are completely cut out of the game,
  • and even the ones that aren't cut you are not doing any driving in. For example "Trip to the country"
  • And the few missions where driving is left in it is badly scripted set pieces instead of actual sandbox based driving.
  • Even the race has set pieces that trigger on each lap at the exact same point every time.

And then there are narrative changes, the people who wrote this either don't understand the original, or are ****ing with the fans of the original deliberately.

Many of the dialogues are rewritten, so that their brilliant nuances are lost completely. I thought I had gone insane and it's only my memory that made the original seem brilliant, I had to watch the dialogue of the original on youtube to check and I was right, it's still brilliant.

And it's not minor things either, the very nature of the characters are changed by this, and there is even a huge narrative change that was completely different than in the original, so much so that it affects the ending of the game. Now I wonder if they changed the ending completely or what. I have my suspicions, and none of them good, (I haven't finished it yet)

Gameplay wise there are good news and bad news, but more on that in the full review.
My initial hype for this started to decline tremendously as more info began coming out. Despite Hangar 13 being the developer on this I was still hoping the game would come out mostly unmolested.

My initial hype for this started to decline tremendously as more info began coming out. Despite Hangar 13 being the developer on this I was still hoping the game would come out mostly unmolested.
I think Mafia 3 was terrible, but I had hoped remaking a game scene by scene won't be beyond their capabilities. I was wrong.

Graphically it is impressive, did not get too far into the game and looks like I will be delayed until I get another motherboard. So far it looks awesome but not enough play time to really know.

Become a Patron!
Back