NVIDIA: GeForce RTX 3070 Beats GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Despite Costing Half the Price

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-side-power-connector-1024x576.jpg

NVIDIA published an article this morning confirming that the GeForce RTX 3070 would not be available to purchase until October 29, but what really caught our eye was the benchmarks that were included at the bottom of the article.

The benchmarks suggest that the mid-range GeForce RTX 3070 has higher performance than NVIDIA’s previous flagship, the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. This is pretty remarkable, being that the GeForce RTX 3070 costs only $499 – exactly half as much as the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, which debuted in 2018 at an MSRP of $999.

You can...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
All I can say, Im glad I skipped the Turing series.
The 2000 series was a proof of concept, shown exactly by this performance jump.
Unfortunately the price for waiting is obvious......no product to buy.
I hope AMD is watching this.

On the opposite end, I'm glad I bought a 2070 back when, it's been a great card for me for about 2 yrs.
And still is, until I get a 3080/90 whatever.. :)
No regrets, playing around with early RT/DLSS was fun too.

Unfortunately AMD is not even a choice for me. I need stable drivers for creative/work and at least on PC I had too many AMD related issues with Adobe products. So a no-go until they get a more proven history. For MAC's AMD GPU's are just fine.

Numbers add up to a whole lot of nothing if nobody is able to buy them. NV might as well be saying that the entire lineup of Ampere beats a 2080 Ti but good luck on if, or when they're released. Delays, out of stock, bots, etc. have made this release a pretty moot point. Even more interesting how this card is delayed to the day after AMD is announcing theirs.

I've been keeping an eye on user reviews at BB, B&H, and NewEgg. Most people love to brag about their new cards, especially with all the claims for the 3080's. Meanwhile, if you were to add them altogether from all three sites it barely will break 100 reviews. Seems kind of weird to me.

Numbers add up to a whole lot of nothing if nobody is able to buy them. NV might as well be saying that the entire lineup of Ampere beats a 2080 Ti but good luck on if, or when they're released. Delays, out of stock, bots, etc. have made this release a pretty moot point. Even more interesting how this card is delayed to the day after AMD is announcing theirs.

I've been keeping an eye on user reviews at BB, B&H, and NewEgg. Most people love to brag about their new cards, especially with all the claims for the 3080's. Meanwhile, if you were to add them altogether from all three sites it barely will break 100 reviews. Seems kind of weird to me.

I'm thinking 2021 Q1 for getting anything myself, so just enjoying what I have and gaming away.

As a gamer who is looking to get a new graphics card, PS5 and Xbox series X it's not looking great to get anything anytime soon though I still think the consoles will not be too bad, GPU's might be a real pain, and I don't forsee AMD doing a lot better in regards to amount of hardware available with them having new CPU's and GPU's coming.

Hopefully by then there will be 3090 Hybrids available haha.
I'm just glad I can wait this mess out and don't desperately need an upgrade.

I might upgrade the CPU in the meantime, depending on what's coming up and when and how it works out etc etc.

Or maybe a new monitor, while I dont care for 27" 4K screens I might get one with 144Hz as a secondary just for gaming and keep using the 32" 4K60Hz for work and such

I'm a 2070 owner but I don't regret jumping on the RTX bandwagon. It wasn't exactly a value product but it was a really nice upgrade from my 290X.

This 3070 almost sounds too good to be true. Either way I have a feeling that this thing will panic sell so fast that it'll make the 3080 launch look like it was moving backwards.

The RTX 2000-series wasn't the 'best' buy, but if you weren't rocking say at least a 980 Ti or a Vega, it wasn't a bad buy in my opinion. It's what was available, really the only thing available until Little Navi came out, which itself wasn't much of an upgrade.

Or maybe a new monitor, while I dont care for 27" 4K screens I might get one with 144Hz as a secondary just for gaming and keep using the 32" 4K60Hz for work and such
I have one of the VA 32" 1440p 165Hz monitors*, and I'm tempted by just about everything that isn't VA, including the new IPS 1440p 170Hz monitors.

Of course the gold standard is LG's 48" CX, for those comfortable with that display size. I really just don't think I will be.

*VA rant: inky-blacks on an LCD seem pretty meaningless to me when they come with inky black smearing. I bought the VA because I thought that my 27" 1440p 165Hz IPS had too little contrast and I was missing details in dark areas when gaming, and well, VA hasn't made them more visible. Further, the common VA panel at the time has horrible text sharpness and simply cannot be easily calibrated for reasonably color accuracy despite covering a wide color gamut. I'll take the downsides of IPS if I decide to get another LCD.

The RTX 2000-series wasn't the 'best' buy, but if you weren't rocking say at least a 980 Ti or a Vega, it wasn't a bad buy in my opinion. It's what was available, really the only thing available until Little Navi came out, which itself wasn't much of an upgrade.

I have one of the VA 32" 1440p 165Hz monitors*, and I'm tempted by just about everything that isn't VA, including the new IPS 1440p 170Hz monitors.

Of course the gold standard is LG's 48" CX, for those comfortable with that display size. I really just don't think I will be.

*VA rant: inky-blacks on an LCD seem pretty meaningless to me when they come with inky black smearing. I bought the VA because I thought that my 27" 1440p 165Hz IPS had too little contrast and I was missing details in dark areas when gaming, and well, VA hasn't made them more visible. Further, the common VA panel at the time has horrible text sharpness and simply cannot be easily calibrated for reasonably color accuracy despite covering a wide color gamut. I'll take the downsides of IPS if I decide to get another LCD.

My LG 32" 4K is a decent VA, great blacks and good enough colors for Photo editing.
It's getting a bit old and there are more accurate and easily calibrated IPS panels out there but I'm not ready to leave my comfort zone yet.

As a photographer, once you get used to a monitor and it's quirks you delay the switch to a new one for as long as possible lol.
I had my LaCie Blue 1600x1200 twins forever before this one.

My LG 32" 4K is a decent VA, great blacks and good enough colors for Photo editing.
It's getting a bit old and there are more accurate and easily calibrated IPS panels out there but I'm not ready to leave my comfort zone yet.

As a photographer, once you get used to a monitor and it's quirks you delay the switch to a new one for as long as possible lol.
I had my LaCie Blue 1600x1200 twins forever before this one.
It's a bit of a side discussion, but I do still have the 27" IPS, and I also have an ancient HP 30" 1600p IPS as well, along with a few 24" IPS Acer monitors I got on sale.

These are all exceptionally easy to calibrate in a single pass with default settings on my Spyder 4. The VA (I have a 1440p VA next to a 4k VA, both 32") panels simply don't calibrate; the solutions that the calibration software comes up with are off, different every run, and different between the two panels.

Still, you're absolutely right that our eyes 'adjust'. Color is relative, after all, so it makes sense that we can make something look 'good' with less than perfect equipment. At worst, a slight color temp adjustment might be needed to get the results looking better on 'average' displays!

Not a photographer but I get it. I don't really look forward to finding the 'sweet spot' for any new display. T.V. or monitor. Can take weeks or months until it seems just right. Always excited when I get one but then the work begins. Only monitor I never truly had to do that with was an ASUS 27" 144 Hz G-Sync. Pretty much plug-n-play but wasn't really offering that much in terms of colors or brightness either.

I can't wait to get some of these cards crunching some BOINC projects. lol

At some point, I really need to just invest and get something. We're in an age now where most everything needs some amount of calibration.
It's hard to justify for a non-photographer, but they're not too expensive. You could also try and see if anyone has one that you could borrow; I went over to a woman's house to calibrate her Macbook once since her prints were coming out wrong, and took freshly-cooked Indian food in trade :).

Honestly when this COVID mess stops I'll probably try to do more of that for those that need it. Good way to meet new folks etc.

As for the importance of color calibration, well, that's honestly intensely personal. I still haven't hooked my Spyder up to my 55B7 OLED as I'm satisfied with its color, and with the IPS monitors I almost felt that the purchase of the Spyder was unneeded because there was so little to correct.

That all said, if there's an importance placed on matching colors, calibrators are invaluable tools. Just beware that color calibration is a rabbit hole of sorts. I'd recommend getting a color checker and grey card to set a color baseline in your photography, and you'll want to look for lighting that has a consistent color temperature too, if you haven't gotten that deep yet :).

[might suggest a 'review photography' thread in the lounge?]

It's hard to justify for a non-photographer, but they're not too expensive. You could also try and see if anyone has one that you could borrow; I went over to a woman's house to calibrate her Macbook once since her prints were coming out wrong, and took freshly-cooked Indian food in trade :).

Honestly when this COVID mess stops I'll probably try to do more of that for those that need it. Good way to meet new folks etc.

As for the importance of color calibration, well, that's honestly intensely personal. I still haven't hooked my Spyder up to my 55B7 OLED as I'm satisfied with its color, and with the IPS monitors I almost felt that the purchase of the Spyder was unneeded because there was so little to correct.

That all said, if there's an importance placed on matching colors, calibrators are invaluable tools. Just beware that color calibration is a rabbit hole of sorts. I'd recommend getting a color checker and grey card to set a color baseline in your photography, and you'll want to look for lighting that has a consistent color temperature too, if you haven't gotten that deep yet :).

[might suggest a 'review photography' thread in the lounge?]

I can see it now, Lazy G calibrating the monitors for all the ladies...."would you like to stay for dinner Mr. Lazy"...

I can see it now, Lazy G calibrating the monitors for all the ladies...."would you like to stay for dinner Mr. Lazy"...
Not that I have a problem with it, though I should probably get my LTC soon if I'm going to be out and about with expensive toys and meeting strangers.

Of course in that case, pretty though she still is, her husband and young son were both present, and she'd just done the whole immigrate after her husband thing while waiting for her green card. Pretty sure then at the time and now today that that's not something I want to be jumping into the middle of!

The photographer in question

Become a Patron!
Back