Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset Becomes $299 “Paperweight” after Owners Fail Mandatory Facebook Verification

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
oculus-quest-2-female-player-1024x577.jpg
Image: Oculus

Back in August, Oculus revealed that its latest VR headset, the Quest 2, would require a Facebook account before use. That didn’t go down so well with most folks, and now we have perfect proof of why it’s such a dumb idea.

The Quest 2 began shipping this week but many early adopters have discovered that they can’t use it after failing Facebook’s verification process for creating new accounts, effectively turning the VR headset into a $299 piece of junk (or a “paperweight,” as some affected users are calling it). Others have tried reviving their old accounts but were still met with the banhammer.

“I wasnt a fan of creating a Facebook account after deleting mine 5 years ago but for the sake of the quest 2...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
This doesn't make a lick o sense.
Sheer incompetence.
All you do is yeah, create an account for the VR product, and only for that, and enhance it in some way with social media aspects that users may or may not use. Let facebook users link it if they want to have the even more expanded social media use or add contacts.
One is a trojan horse for more social media access, the other is just sheer incompetence.
No I don't love social media, nor have Facebook.

Become a Patron!
Back