3D Without the Glasses: Sony Announces $4,999 Spatial Reality Display

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
sony-spatial-reality-display-girl-1024x576.jpg
Image: Sony

One of the biggest reasons why 3D TVs flopped is because they needed expensive and annoying glasses, which nobody wanted to bother with. Sony appears to have found a way around that nuisance with its Spatial Reality Display, a small, 15-inch monitor that can display three-dimensional images without the need for uncomfortable eye wear.

While it’s impossible to say how well it works without seeing it in person, Sony says that the Spatial Reality Display leverages three key technologies to make glasses-free 3D viewing possible: a high-speed vision sensor, real-time rendering algorithm, and micro optical lens. The former tracks a user’s eye movement down to the millisecond, while the latter divides the image to create a stereoscopic image.

Sony’s Spatial Reality Display will be...

Continue reading...

Sounds headache inducing beyond limited time viewing. Better for advertisements than workstation use. Though being able to draw a 3d object real time and see it in true 3d would be nice.

I wonder about things like viewing range, angle, refresh rate, and how many concurrent viewers it can support.

I am hoping demo monitors make it out into the wild next month so I can see the magic.

After 3DS came out, I was wondering if we would ever see large-scale displays with similar technology. I didn't know Samsung was experimenting with something like that just a few years later, as Peter pointed out in his post above. I always thought that if 3D was ever going to take off, it would be the glasses-free variety. I never much cared for glasses-based 3D (with either active or passive glasses, although the passive glasses were easier on my eyes). Didn't care much for the 3D on the base 3DS and XL models either, though I will admit the 3D on the New 3DS was much improved. Still, it didn't take long for me to realize that 3D of any kind just wasn't for me. Headaches and eye strain.

I wonder about things like viewing range, angle, refresh rate, and how many concurrent viewers it can support.

I am hoping demo monitors make it out into the wild next month so I can see the magic.
It says 1 user tracking... So my guess is 1 ;)

Those are just called "glasses" :)
Nah, something that takes your 3d view (since you have 2 eyes with space in between your brain is able to turn it into 3d)... if you took 2 views and transformed it into a flat 2d space :). Kind of like unprojecting 3d!!! Oh man would those be fun with zero depth perception.

Become a Patron!
Back