SSD Prices Are Expected to Drop By as Much as 15 Percent

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
samsung-qvo-ssd-aerial-1024x576.jpg
Image: Samsung

If you’re beating yourself up for missing a great SSD deal, don’t fret, as prices are about to get even lower. The latest data from market intelligence provider TrendForce indicates that NAND prices are going to drop by as much as 15 percent in the first quarter of 2021. Prices are allegedly down by 10 percent already, so this is more great news for enthusiasts who are plotting a holiday build or have run out of space due to massive games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Red Dead Redemption 2.

Not surprisingly, NAND flash (and DRAM) prices are falling due to a weak memory market, with major customers (e.g., server manufacturers) dialing back their demand significantly. Most of...

Continue reading...

<Insert mysterious natural catastrophe here>

The problem is so many businesses are service oriented and expanding infrastructure right now isn't top of the list unless you're a cloud vendor or streaming service. Since infrastructure was largely over built or converted to cloud services the spend on individual servers has gone down.

I get weekly emails from Dell asking us to lock in orders because we are on the planning to purchase about a million in hardware. They are hungry for sales. If I could just talk them into gifting some Alienware laptops... lol

Hunh? Maybe if you are talking data center, but covid and work from home has had everything laptop hammered for a good chunk of this year. Hence the 2Q20 uptick.
I've been eyeballing NVME drives for the 6 months for a new build. I think the 2021 price cuts were already here as they had dropped back down to the February prices or a bit lower, but they also had coupons/instant rebates added just before I pulled the trigger in September. but the really fast pcie X4 one hadn't been available at the start, but a nearly equivalent one was $399, The one I got is the same controller and debuted at $389, and I got it for $330-ish ($369 plus $40 coupon). The slower adata drive I got to go with it also had a ~10% of MSRP discount over the actual street price.

Become a Patron!
Back