Early NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Stock Numbers Seem Depressing

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-side-power-connector-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

With NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 3070 set to launch next Thursday, retailers’ shelves are brimming with mid-ranged Ampere GPUs to sell to the masses, right? Sadly, it doesn’t look that way. Assuming that Proshop’s latest numbers are anything to go by, we could be in for a repeat of the GeForce RTX 3080 and GeForce RTX 3090 situation.

Out of hundreds of models ordered, Proshop has only received an average of 18 GeForce RTX 3070 units. These include the ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3070 OC (340 ordered, 20 received), MSI GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING X TRIO (300 ordered, 20 received), and GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070...

Continue reading...

That is depressing. I wasn't buying one for myself, but the 3070 is a more reasonably priced model for most people, and I assume there will be much much more demand than for the 3080 or 3090. To see stock levels this low is thoroughly depressing.

Hopefully AMD comes through in a big way.

There is still time, launch is still 2+weeks away, still I would not hold my breath on getting one especially given Jensens statement of shortages for the rest fo the year.

The "delay" for more stock was just an excuse to see what AMD is going to do as we all know.

I won't be shocked if demand for 3070 is "enormous", and there are shortages early on. But I also expect the 3070 to actually contain some inventory and to move quickly. I don't expect this to be a paper/cardboard launch or whatever you want to call the CF that the 3080 and 3090 release have been.

Yeah, I agree. That could be why the delay in a release on these. Trying to build up the inventory since it was stupid with the 3080 and 3090's!

I won't be shocked if demand for 3070 is "enormous", and there are shortages early on. But I also expect the 3070 to actually contain some inventory and to move quickly. I don't expect this to be a paper/cardboard launch or whatever you want to call the CF that the 3080 and 3090 release have been.

We could only hope.

Well there you go, it been a crap launch by Nvidia and nothing else.
They weren't ready and it shows.
They should have kept the 2000 series longer, fight with a price cut and launch the 3000 series properly, which probably will have been 2021.
They didn't want to lose 'the crown' even if a few months, that much is obvious.
It may matter little if they are confronted with a hard launch and a good competitive price point from AMD.

I would say - if AMD can hard launch it’s the winner.

but...

Team Green is pretty loyal. I think they would hold out and try their luck with the trickle supply stream rather than go to the dark side.

Either I'm not the only one that used cardboard to quantify this launch or you saw my post on the [H]. Either way, I think it's very fitting :). The only company to release numbers has gotten 7% of their demand satisfied so far.... NVIDIA saying it's a demand issue... are you saying they only expected 1/14th the deman they got? I mean, missing by a little bit is normal, but 14 fold??

I would say - if AMD can hard launch it’s the winner.

but...

Team Green is pretty loyal. I think they would hold out and try their luck with the trickle supply stream rather than go to the dark side.

While I agree to an extent, if AMD has something good to offer and their drivers aren't a cluster, there will be a few converts here and there. You don't typically gain back huge market share instantly, and AMD can't... they only produce enough to supply ~25-30% of the market... for them to jump up to 50% market share they would just about need to double their supply! If their numbers are as good as they are starting to look (lower power draw, can keep up with ~3080), then they will probably claw back a bit of market share. How much depends on inventory and pricing.

I'm in the market for a new card, as I want to upgrade my monitors to 4k. I will be purchasing whatever product I can get my hands on that will suite the purpose. I have a strange feeling it's going to be one of AMD's 6000 series cards that I'll be able to get. Call it a hunch. I've lost all respect for nVidia with their supply crap.

I doubt very much that AMD is gonna "win" anything just because they have inventory...

The only people that are desperate enough to buy just "anything" because it's available are either without a GPU alltogether or on a 6 year old kartoffel.

On a personal note, everyone I know IRL that is looking for a new GPU right now has settled in for a wait, mostly because they have a decent GPU to begin with. They are also not budget shoppers, so there's that. And new "budget cards" wont be out until sometime 2021 anyhow...

Last edited:
I doubt very much that AMD is gonna "win" anything just because they have inventory...

The only people are desperate enough to buy just "anything" because it's available are either without a GPU alltogether or on a 6 year old kartoffel.

On a personal note, everyone I know IRL that is looking for a new GPU right now has settled in for a wait, mostly because they have a decent GPU to begin with. They are also not budget shoppers, so there's that. And new "budget cards" wont be out until sometime 2021 anyhow...

The question is how long are we going to have to wait?

Let's say the rumours are true and a 20 GB 3080 is coming, if that also takes 4+ months to arrive in volume after beeing announced at that point you might as well wait on ampere's succesor.

Nvidia is going the intele route, announcing stuff, delivering in tiny amounts and the people who want to buy something are stuck waiting until they can actualy fabricate it in volume.

I'm not really worried about it anymore. The ridiculous crap that was the 3080 launch has made me really not care about a GPU upgrade right now to the point where I'm not even looking anymore. I will probably start looking to buy January or February when hopefully stock gets somewhat normal but unless I get lucky one day when I'm walking around Best Buy and they happen to have one on the shelf, I won't be buying one anytime soon.

The only people that are desperate enough to buy just "anything" because it's available are either without a GPU alltogether or on a 6 year old kartoffel.

Well win in the sense of having a strong showing and a confidence inducing moment. Those are hard to come by. This is for AMD to screw up.

I've gone over to team red a few times. The amount of stuff that just didn't work as promised and overall issues has kept me on team green for quite some time. I finally managed to snag a 3080 FE, so I'm good, but the reality is AMD could have had millions of cards on day one and it wouldn't be a real card for me unless it was also dirt cheap. At the $800 price point, I'd have to sit around for the real world experiences to trickle in from people who aren't fanboys of one side or the other.

Life's to short and cards are too expensive to wait half a card lifecycle for **** to get fixed in drivers.

I've gone over to team red a few times. The amount of stuff that just didn't work as promised and overall issues has kept me on team green for quite some time. I finally managed to snag a 3080 FE, so I'm good, but the reality is AMD could have had millions of cards on day one and it wouldn't be a real card for me unless it was also dirt cheap. At the $800 price point, I'd have to sit around for the real world experiences to trickle in from people who aren't fanboys of one side or the other.

Life's to short and cards are too expensive to wait half a card lifecycle for **** to get fixed in drivers.
Yeah, NVIDIA and AMD both have driver issues, but AMD seems to have a few more, and they tend to just stick around much to long for a known issue. Nvidia has some long time stuff as well, but the % of people it affects is much smaller, the bigger issues get corrected quickly. That said, not everyone has great/bad experiences with both and it's hit or miss. I have 9 computers at my house that I use (between 3 laptops and 6 dektops)... I have 7 AMD GPU's and 2 NVIDIA.... the only machine I have issues with is my Quadro RTX 3000 with the professional drivers... it's the only one that hangs and crashes. No issues on any of the other machines. This is also the only machine that my work/IT department has complete control over that I can't change drivers or reinstall, so I don't really blame nvidia, could just be a weird setup, but it's for sure an nvidia driver .dll file that the crash is happening in (some sort of timeout, I can't recall the exact error, but it seems to happen when there isn't much going on (outlook, excel, visual studio's and maybe a web browser open). My AMD cards (well, all my stuff) are also older, and I don't typically buy right away, so I avoid a the driver and hardware beta testing phase and just wait for a good product.

tl;dr - AMD takes longer than they should to fix stuff when it pops up.

Become a Patron!
Back