Oppo Launching S1 and R1 4K Television Lines

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Image: Oppo

Oppo is a name that has been synonymous with quality, high-end home theater for over 16 years now. It came as a shock to many when it announced it would discontinue its popular disc players two years ago. Its players were often ranked as the best and were highly sought after for discerning home theater setups. In continuing that tradition and moving with the times, it is now releasing a new line of 4K televisions.

At the top end of the new product stack is the Oppo S1 65-inch 4K television. It is currently listed on its site for $1197.

S1 Specs

Panel Type: QLED quantum dotResolution: 3840×2160Local...

Continue reading...

Those 'lower end' tv's are right in my price range. And performance looks good. Though wife doesn't think we need 4k and I tend to agree.

I'm also in the thought of I want a sound bar solution rather than my entertainment center and Onkyo receiver with Atlantic Technology speakers.

How the Chroma 4:4:4 support and the input lag?
Fair questions and hopefully they'll publish more details about that. I'm also curious as to what VRR implementation the S1 specifically has, simple HDMI VRR or perhaps Free-Sync/G-Sync. You can tell it's new territory for them. Specs were not consistently listed on their website, notice how one list brightness in nits while the other cd/m2, and I had to hobble them together from multiple sources. The S1 was pretty detailed, and had an actual product page, but missing those answers. I believe it should support 4:4:4, it'd be odd if it didn't being in the class that it is, but I don't really have a clue as to the input lag. The R1's didn't actually have a product page up yet, just a storefront page and google translate only translated a small part of it.

I'm also in the thought of I want a sound bar solution
I just started researching those in the last 6 months. Good ones are shockingly expensive, but I'm leaning the same direction for simplicity's sake. For 4K content it still comes down to the sources but I'm sure you already know that.

One thing I found while researching is that their OS could be Android based(doesn't say it in the specs but many other sites are reporting it as such). I'd consider that a plus since google has had the most diverse streaming app selection that I've seen so far.

One thing I found while researching is that their OS could be Android based(doesn't say it in the specs but many other sites are reporting it as such). I'd consider that a plus since google has had the most diverse streaming app selection that I've seen so far.

That would be a huge plus in my book!!!!

If you are going budget on the sound bar I snagged a Vizio 5.1 from Costco for $200 bucks and have been very pleased.

https://www.costco.com/vizio-v51-h6-36%22-5.1-channel-home-theater-soundbar-system.product.100669728.html

Oppo, quality?.. Interested?
Where are the Chinese garbage comments, and the Chinese copy everything comments?
Or is this some other Oppo or something?

I would like to see this on Rtings for the above mentioned 4:4:4 chroma + lag, and colour volume + HDR response.
I had an Oppo 105, 105D and 205. Good value and quality.
Its going to be interesting to find how well they fare with TVs.

Oppo, quality?.. Interested?
Where are the Chinese garbage comments, and the Chinese copy everything comments?
Or is this some other Oppo or something?

So, OPPO (electronics) is a different company than OPPO Digital. However, both are owned by the same parent company. The quality references come from OPPO Digital products, which include a line of blu-ray players (example review of the UDP-203). Given this distinction, it makes me wonder which OPPO was in charge of the design of this set - what have you seen on this @Peter_Brosdahl ?

So, OPPO (electronics) is a different company than OPPO Digital. However, both are owned by the same parent company. The quality references come from OPPO Digital products, which include a line of blu-ray players (example review of the UDP-203). Given this distinction, it makes me wonder which OPPO was in charge of the design of this set - what have you seen on this @Peter_Brosdahl ?
I'll look into it. What I do know is that these are specifically being listed on numerous sites in China and India. I did read a post in one thread that there may possibly be a connection to Xiomi. Thanks @David_Schroth for the clarification on the two differences.

So after a dizzying search, several Wikipedia pages including the parent company BBK Electronics, I'm pretty sure this is entirely an OPPO, not an OPPO Digital project. At this point, OPPO Digital is only providing past product support and selling speakers. On Wiki, they paint a fairly consistent history of the companies that also aligns with the about page on OPPO.

In terms of the panel used for the S1, it's still an unknown. My closest educated guess is either LG or Samsung. OPPO has ties to both for their cell phone products. Since this is a QLED that leans towards Samsung but not necessarily a guarantee. However, if Samsung announces something like this soon I'd say that pretty much IDs it.

Man, that 18 speaker 5.1.2 design is just too cool. Check this out.
1603329183905.png

Become a Patron!
Back