AMD Announces Radeon RX 6900 XT ($999), Radeon RX 6800 XT ($649), and Radeon RX 6800 ($579)

All I know is these past couple years have been fun as a computer enthusiast. Even if I can't afford all of the new toys it sure is fun to be able to get what I can! :)

So nothing under $500 from AMD. Am I the only one who finds that interesting?

So AMD will launch something at $499 thats in the same class as the 3070?

I see no reason why they wouldn't have a GPU product that that falls in the sub-$500 range. Seeing as how that's where AMD has been the last decade it seems why change now?

I see no reason why they wouldn't have a GPU product that that falls in the sub-$500 range. Seeing as how that's where AMD has been the last decade it seems why change now?
I just find it odd that they didnt make the 6800 $499 and be done with it.

Show me one game out right now that has really stunning, "you bought it for that"......Ray Tracing.

I dont see that as a game changer yet. Full blown, everything turned on performance is still the benchmark for me.....1440 or 4K or whatever you have.

Maybe a person who uses 1080 exclusively?
But 70 dollars is not a really big margin, I agree.......3070 will beat that card to smitherines.

I'm all about that raster performance at 1440P. I'm feeling that 6900XT for the price.

Another thought - going Red Team -- I'll finally be able to use FreeSync - something NV is unwilling to do with this monitor.

Show me one game out right now that has really stunning, "you bought it for that"......Ray Tracing.

I dont see that as a game changer yet. Full blown, everything turned on performance is still the benchmark for me.....1440 or 4K or whatever you have.
It's not even necessarily that there's a game out right now, which would definitely be a motivator, but also that it doesn't make much sense to spend this much on a GPU without good RT. Especially for those of us that keep our GPUs for three or four years.

Man .. I can't wait for the 6200XT! .. that'll be about my price range me thinks ..

What has me concerned is the questionable math that many commentators / reviewers are not addressing the elephant in the room.

60 CUs - $579
72 CUs - $649
80 CUs - $999! For the same VRAM, etc. compared with RX 6800 XT!

So, for an extra 12 compute units, only an added $70!!

But, for an extra 8!! compute units, an extra $350?!

Why isn't this poor (gouging) marketing HIKE being discussed?

What has me concerned is the questionable math that many commentators / reviewers are not addressing the elephant in the room.

60 CUs - $579
72 CUs - $649
80 CUs - $999! For the same VRAM, etc. compared with RX 6800 XT!

So, for an extra 12 compute units, only an added $70!!

But, for an extra 8!! compute units, an extra $350?!

Why isn't this poor (gouging) marketing HIKE being discussed?
There is a point to all this 579 sounds like the 500 price point 649 is less than Nvidia, and 999 is a tribute to Herman Cain, .. I mean its just a huge undercut of 3090, while being fairly close.

What game made for RTX, using DXR 1.0 will truly reflect AMD method of RT? Will probably have to wait for a console title with RT to make it's way to the PC for a good comparison then again it may not perform well or fully use Nvidia method. DXR 1.1 has major performance optimizations not in DXR 1.0. Plus it will be future RT games that I would be interested in, like Cyberpunk and not the previous ones where most folks with RTX cards did not bother with RT due various reasons from performance hit to they could not tell the difference or the difference were meaningless to them. For example, did RT make people want to play Wolfenstein Any more than before? I doubt it.

At this time RT has more meaning to me in professional programs and less in games and if one has to reduce quality settings, resolution to use it, degrading quality in order to increase it => pointless. Anyone gaming 4K, I just don't think RT will be that useful in games this generation. Might be a nice option to play around with but not a major buying point for games. Raw fps, less lag, consistent frame rates, highest quality textures and shaders, HDR is my major focus.

There is a point to all this 579 sounds like the 500 price point 649 is less than Nvidia, and 999 is a tribute to Herman Cain, .. I mean its just a huge undercut of 3090, while being fairly close.
The real price of the 3080, the ones you can actually have a chance to buy are closer to $750-$800 and not $699. Meaning the 6800XT if readily available unlike Nvidia 3080, will be $100+ cheaper. Also the ASUS 3080 Strix MSRP is $849 which makes the 6900XT with 16gb vs. 10gb, suppose 3090 level performance look a hell a lot better.

The 3070 being released tomorrow has prices starting at $499 but climb to over $600 for a 8gb card. AMD AIBs I think have more leeway, not beholden to Nvidia for DDR6x, can obtain DDR6 anywhere, less complex board etc. could have AMD RNDA2 cards for less than MSRP as well as over with higher clocked versions, maybe giving an additional 10% boost.

To NVIDIA's credit, though. You are soft on the facts.

RTX 3090 - 24GB VRAM - Tensor Cores - 328 - CUDA Cores - 10,496
RTX 3080 - 10GB VRAM - Tensor Cores - 272 - CUDA Cores - 8704

This proves that these cards are not the same and NVIDIA is not charging the same just for a bump in performance but also offer up to 8K performance for those that are 8K ready.

That being said, I don't agree that the RTX 3090 is priced fairly at all but NVIDIA's card definitely shows it has more to offer than just a few extra processing units (and once NVIDIA's drivers mature, I think the RTX 3090 / 3080 will break even more records) over the RTX 3080 compared to the ridiculous comparison between the RX 6900 XT vs RX 6800XT extra $350!

To NVIDIA's credit, though. You are soft on the facts.

RTX 3090 - 24GB VRAM - Tensor Cores - 328 - CUDA Cores - 10,496
RTX 3080 - 10GB VRAM - Tensor Cores - 272 - CUDA Cores - 8704

This proves that these cards are not the same and NVIDIA is not charging the same just for a bump in performance but also offer up to 8K performance for those that are 8K ready.

That being said, I don't agree that the RTX 3090 is priced fairly at all but NVIDIA's card definitely shows it has more to offer than just a few extra processing units (and once NVIDIA's drivers mature, I think the RTX 3090 / 3080 will break even more records) over the RTX 3080 compared to the ridiculous comparison between the RX 6900 XT vs RX 6800XT extra $350!
The 3090 has 20% more memory bandwidth and Cuda cores, it is not going to get more than 20% more performance unless vram limited on the 3080 yet your paying $800 more! If Nvidia allows Titan drivers for the 3090 to open up the optimizations from the hardware to the professionals then that price becomes more reasonable but for gaming it is a joke. Now that is if you can even get either a 3080 or 3090 for the MSRP which is another joke so really one is even paying more.

We do not even know how much headroom, OC is available for the 6900XT, for the 3090 it is virtually pointless to OC. AIBs may push an additional 10% out of the 6900XT. We just have to wait to see independent reviews for real results. AMD for the last several years have been accurate with their benchmarks. Now if Nvidia has a viable 3080Ti which sits between the 3080 and 3090, the 6900XT appears to not only have more ram but would beat that as well so $999 is reasonable but I expect AMD is baiting again Nvidia who may fall over it and the price of the 6900XT may drop to something else.

Become a Patron!
Back