Epic Games Purchases Shopping Mall for $95 Million to Convert Into New Headquarters

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
epic-games-logo-1024x576.jpg
Image: Epic Games

A shopping mall isn’t the first thing we’d think of buying if we were riding off of the success of Fortnite, but that’s exactly what its developer has done. Today, Epic Games announced that it had purchased the Cary Towne Center complex, a 980,000-square-foot and 87-acre shopping mall located in its hometown of Cary, North Carolina, to convert into a massive new headquarters comprising not only office buildings but recreational spaces by 2024. According to coverage by the Triangle Business Journal, the acquisition cost Epic Games...

Continue reading...

We had the Dept of Trans take up one half of a mall here, and a community college the other. A handful of the restaurants stayed to serve lunch. Saved that property from just turning into an eyesore.

Then the pandemic hit and its back to being a ghost town.

We had the Dept of Trans take up one half of a mall here, and a community college the other. A handful of the restaurants stayed to serve lunch. Saved that property from just turning into an eyesore.

Then the pandemic hit and its back to being a ghost town.
I've seen a number of similar things where I live.

95 million seems a little pricey for a fixer upper.... let's see if they doze everything.

I live about 2 miles away from a huge dead zombie mall. It was the place to be in the 80's-90's and now they are bulldozing it to put in mixed use stuff and a zillion apartments.

Yea the new Urban Apartment mixed use environments with 'luxury mall' type shops is all the new rage. Live here to over pay for space AND get shops you can over pay for product at!!

You know now that I think about it a little... just a LITTLE mind you. Wouldn't a luxury apartment complex with 1 gigabit by default to every unit. With complex wide high speed wifi on top of that (so you don't need your own... or you can...) and with integrated shops in the unit that cater to technology/gamer culture. Anime shops, gaming shops, tech stores like a mall outlet for a microcenter. That sort of thing in it, and specifically marketed to the geeks/nerds of todays generation. Hummm... That could be cool. Even dedicated discord server with voice chats and everything. hummm... I like the idea. Not sure it would make money but it could be fun to take a loss on it if I had that kind of cash.

Yea the new Urban Apartment mixed use environments with 'luxury mall' type shops is all the new rage. Live here to over pay for space AND get shops you can over pay for product at!!

You know now that I think about it a little... just a LITTLE mind you. Wouldn't a luxury apartment complex with 1 gigabit by default to every unit. With complex wide high speed wifi on top of that (so you don't need your own... or you can...) and with integrated shops in the unit that cater to technology/gamer culture. Anime shops, gaming shops, tech stores like a mall outlet for a microcenter. That sort of thing in it, and specifically marketed to the geeks/nerds of todays generation. Hummm... That could be cool. Even dedicated discord server with voice chats and everything. hummm... I like the idea. Not sure it would make money but it could be fun to take a loss on it if I had that kind of cash.
Wouldn't be surprised if someone has done this in Japan or Taiwan.

I’d rather have a dead mall than this garbage company.

Become a Patron!
Back