Microsoft Recalls the Time It Tried to Purchase EA, Squaresoft, and Nintendo, Which “Laughed Their ***** Off”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
microsoft-xbox-console-controller-s-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Bloomberg has published a comprehensive story about how Microsoft’s original Xbox came to light and the challenges that the company faced to turn it into the gaming juggernaut that it is today. One of the more amusing passages relates to comments made by former executives Steve Ballmer (CEO), Bob McBreen (head of business development), and Kevin Bachus (head of first-party games), who admitted that Microsoft tried to buy its way into the annals of gaming history by securing major developers/publishers such as EA.

Apparently, Microsoft was willing to throw so much cash around that it even tried to acquire one of its biggest competitors in the console space...

Continue reading...

Nintendo has proven time and again that they don't need the most powerful hardware on the market to generate sales. The only real stinkers in their long history were the Gamecube and Wii U, which ironically had the best hardware for their time at release.

Nintendo has proven time and again that they don't need the most powerful hardware on the market to generate sales. The only real stinkers in their long history were the Gamecube and Wii U, which ironically had the best hardware for their time at release.

They would make (a lot) more money though if their hardware would allow 3rd party developpers to more easily port their games, they have good first party games but imo can't make them fast enough .

Less gimmicks and better hardware would not hurt them too much I think (switch controller issue comes to mind imo due to the small size of those things they are too fragile)

They would make (a lot) more money though if their hardware would allow 3rd party developpers to more easily port their games, they have good first party games but imo can't make them fast enough .

Less gimmicks and better hardware would not hurt them too much I think (switch controller issue comes to mind imo due to the small size of those things they are too fragile)

Buy the Switch Pro Controller made by Nintendo. Problem solved.

Which works on PC both wired and wirelessly via Bluetooth, FYI.

Nice, don't own one myself but that's good to know. I use my old but faithful Xbox 360 (wired) controller on the PC for those games that KB/M just don't play well with.

Nice, don't own one myself but that's good to know. I use my old but faithful Xbox 360 (wired) controller on the PC for those games that KB/M just don't play well with.
I got waaay too many controllers for use on PC, for those games where I don't prefer keyboard+mouse:
- Logitech G27 racing wheel controller
- 2x wired USB Microsoft Xbox 360 controllers (one was decommissioned due to damage sustained when a friend was borrowing it long-term. An ex-coworker had modded it with a DPad from an original Xbox S controller)
- 3x wireless Microsoft Xbox 360 controllers (one has DPad from an original Xbox S controller, one is a silver "Limited Edition" controller with a rotating, switchable DPad that broke so I can't switch it anymore cuz I had to use superglue to fix it)
- 3x Microsoft XB1 controllers (two original models with DPads that stopped working, one of those came with a janky "start" button, and one Model S revision with Bluetooth and a few better buttons, mainly the shoulder buttons)
- Xbox Series X/S controller (Christmas gift from a friend when he inadvertently ended up with two)
- 2x Sega Saturn wired USB PC controllers (the original SLS-manufactured ones from back in the day)
- 2x Retro-bit Sega-official wired USB Genesis 6-button controllers (USB version is actually 8 buttons cuz they added two shoulder buttons)
- 2x Retro-bit Sega-official Saturn wired USB controllers (one first revision and one second revision)
- 1x Retro-bit Sega-official Saturn wireless controller (2.4GHz version)
- 2x Nintendo Wii U Pro Controllers (wirelessly connects to PC via an adapter from Mayflash)
- 2x Nintendo Switch Pro Controller (wired or Bluetooth)
- 4x Nintendo Switch SNES Controllers (they can only connect to PC wirelessly via Bluetooth)
- RaphNet adapters allowing for use of original NES controllers and NES/SNES Classic/Mini controllers on PC (you know, that port on the bottom of Wiimotes that was originally for the Wii Classic Controller)
- Old Mayflash adapter to connect original SNES/Super Famicom controllers to PC, but I stopped using it long ago cuz it added too much input latency
- I guess technically DualShock 4, but I have no desire to use it on PC when I have a plenty of superior options. Haven't yet had a chance to try the PS5's DualSense controller (though I have held one), but that might be a future PC option for me as well.

Wow, thats a nice list of controllers.

I've always wanted an original N64 controller to use on the PC as I love emulating the console of my childhood. Any suggestions on how I can go about on getting that accomplished? As it stands I just use my 360 controller and map the buttons as best as I can to make the game playable. I would much prefer using an N64 controller to feed that nostalgia hunger.

I've always wanted an original N64 controller to use on the PC as I love emulating the console of my childhood. Any suggestions on how I can go about on getting that accomplished?
1.) https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/n64_usb_adapter_gen3/index.php
2.) https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/dual_n64_to_usb_adapter/index.php
3.) https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gcn64_usb_adapter_gen3/index.php

I can not vouch for these specific adapters personally, cuz I've never used them, but I've used a bunch of other RaphNet adapters, and have always been extremely satisfied with them. I plan to get one of the above adapters at some point as well (after I replace the worn analog sticks in all my N64 controllers). The adapters listed above use this tech: https://www.raphnet-tech.com/support/advXarch/index.php
Which I also have never personally used, as none of the adapters I have make use of it. I know it involves running their program on your PC, and I have no idea how good that software is. At the end of the day though, when I need to take a controller from one system and use it on an entirely different platform, RaphNet are usually the first ones I turn to.

Buy the Switch Pro Controller made by Nintendo. Problem solved.

Not realy, my mom uses her switch only in portable mode so I had to get her a cheap replacement left controller so her toon stops running once she releases the joystick.

I don't use my switch a lot so for now the controllers on mine are still good, not sure if the fact that I got a newer one with the bigger battery has something to do with that.

Only problem with the Pro controller is the triggers are still digital.
Yeah, there's no getting around that. Great for games that don't need it though. My biggest problem with the Switch Pro Controller is the weight. It is too heavy for my liking. Same with DualSense, or at least that's the impression I got the one time I held one.

Yeah, there's no getting around that. Great for games that don't need it though. My biggest problem with the Switch Pro Controller is the weight. It is too heavy for my liking. Same with DualSense, or at least that's the impression I got the one time I held one.
I prefer my controllers with more weight, but my issue with the Switch Pro is it being too small for my hands. I've hated every Sony controller since the Sixaxis for simply weighing too little, but I actually like the Dualsense now that it has more weight. The slight change in shape of the grips also feels good in my hands.

Become a Patron!
Back