LG Launching Budget OLED TVs with Reduced Specs

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
lg-oled-2021-lineup-1024x576.jpg
Image: LG

During last week’s all-virtual CES, LG announced that its Z1, G1, C1, and B1 2021 OLED TVs would be joined by an entirely new lineup of OLED models aimed at budget buyers. Dubbed A1, the cheaper series will reduce the price of entry by forfeiting 100/120 Hz panels for slower 50/60 Hz screens, as well as switch out its more expensive siblings’ HDMI 2.1 ports for HDMI 2.0. These downgrades basically make LG’s new A1 lineup a fine option for TV and movies, but not so much for gaming.

“LG A1 will be available in 48, 55, 65 and 77 inches,” FlatpanelsHD noted in its coverage. “It is a range of affordable 4K OLED TVs that will help take the advanced self-emissive display technology...

Continue reading...

Hmm. I totally expected to see those smaller than 48"TV's they recently announced on this list.

I am glad they aren't. Maybe that means we get the full high quality screens in smaller sizes instead.

I figured it was a matter of time... Since the B19/BX decided to go with a lesser processor, I wondered how long it would be before we saw a line with lesser screens as well. Now it seems we have three tiers - the G EVO with the brighter screen, the "everything else" lineup, and the A budget line stuck at 60Hz.

Not that a 60Hz screen looks bad - my C7 is 60Hz, and I wouldn't sneeze at it... depends on the price differential more than anything I suppose. If you can snag a 55" A series for a good bit under a Grand (just using 55" for price parity with the more common sizes in previous years), that's a good deal.

Is the input latency reduced too? That would be nice.

Become a Patron!
Back