Samsung Reportedly Buying Millions of OLED TV Panels from LG

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
lg-oled-2021-lineup-1024x576.jpg
Image: LG

After years of dabbling with alternative display technologies such as QLED, South Korean electronics giant Samsung is reportedly embracing what is arguably the world’s premier display technology, OLED. This is according to a report shared by local outlet MTN, which claims that Samsung Electronics plans to buy up to 5 million panels from LG in what is presumably a bid to launch its own lineup of premium OLED TVs. Samsung purportedly decided upon this due to the recent surge in LCD prices.

#Samsung Electronics is looking into buying #OLED TV panels from #LG Display. Samsung is aiming to buy 1 million OLED TV panels in 2021, and 4 million (around...

Continue reading...

Stop gap until MicoLED becomes more cost effective to produce.
We could both be wrong but I'd say spot on. It seems like Samsung is heavily invested in its ultrawide panels, plus selling them to many customers as well, so it makes sense to outsource for the more traditional sizes until their own factories can catch up.

We could both be wrong but I'd say spot on. It seems like Samsung is heavily invested in its ultrawide panels, plus selling them to many customers as well, so it makes sense to outsource for the more traditional sizes until their own factories can catch up.

Yup. They already have MicroLED. And it's every bit as good, if not better, than OLED, without any of the draw backs like burn in or organic degradation. It's just stupidly expensive to produce right now.

Yup. They already have MicroLED. And it's every bit as good, if not better, than OLED, without any of the draw backs like burn in or organic degradation. It's just stupidly expensive to produce right now.
To be fair, this is why LG went OLED first... because they knew that they could at least make affordable panels that were more than good enough for consumer use within consumer product purchase cycles.

It's also why Samsung stayed on LCDs and went to MicroLED instead, as LG then had to bear the pains of OLED refinement. I'd say that the strategy, whether coordinated or not, has worked out pretty well for both companies.
Why they can't make their own is beyond me.
When it comes to displays LG dominates.
In terms of... best technology...?

Yeah, I'd agree that LG dominates at the moment. IPS and OLED are two heavy hitters that have been unsurpassed in their respective strengths.

But in terms of unit sales? I'd bet Samsung has moved more units, run more revenue, and produced more profits, simply by targeting and tailoring to different markets. And realistically speaking Samsung has pushed their S-PVA / PLS derivative technologies pretty darn far!

What happened to the blue filtered RGB OLED panels they were working on?

What happened to the blue filtered RGB OLED panels they were working on?
I think they just want to make all the things Quantum. It’s probably these LG panels with Quantum layer for extra crispy goodness.

Become a Patron!
Back