id Software Is Working on a “Long-Running Iconic Action FPS”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
quake-logo-1024x576.jpg
Image: id Software

New job postings on the official ZeniMax Jobs site have revealed that id Software is working on a “long-running iconic action FPS.” The postings don’t provide any additional clues as to what this game might be, but the description would highly suggest that it must be a DOOM or Quake title. id Software’s most recent project was DOOM Eternal, the sequel to 2016’s acclaimed DOOM reboot.

From the Senior Technical Animator posting:

id Software, part of the ZeniMax Media Inc. family of companies, is seeking a Senior Technical Animator/ Character TD to join our team in our Richardson, TX studio (near Dallas) in the development of a long-running iconic action FPS. This position will be responsible for the implementation of AAA quality animation rigs with a focus on Havok cloth and hair implementation. Working in coordination with the Concept, Modeling and Animations teams...

Continue reading...

I'm sorry but if Doom Eternal is any sign, the magic is completely gone at that studio.
Yeah the 2016 reboot wasn't terribad but Eternal just doesn't do anything for me. To quote GFR, all loud noises and Diarrhea Christmas Lights.

A new Quake with a single player campaign might be ok....

Yeah the 2016 reboot wasn't terribad but Eternal just doesn't do anything for me. To quote GFR, all loud noises and Diarrhea Christmas Lights.

I didn't like the fact that the game required so much platforming to traverse the environment. At times, figuring out where you could and couldn't go almost made it feel like a puzzle game. I couldn't stand the ammunition economy. It felt more like a survival horror game than a Doom game. Lastly, I think Doom has evolved like modern shooters in the worst way while not evolving enough (or at all) in others.

Doom 2016 did banked on nostalgia in terms of visual and gameplay design to fulfil a gap in the shooters available at the time. However, many of the very things that Doom 2016 did well weren't carried over to Doom Eternal and they tried too hard to evolve the sequel and by doing so it feels disconnected from the original games in concept and disconnected from the 2016 game in terms of actual gameplay.

I wouldn't describe Doom Eternal as a terrible game. However, I would describe it as a bad Doom game. In my opinion it is the worst Doom game of all time. That being said, I don't hate it or think its absolute dog **** or anything. It just feels wrong. It's gameplay isn't Doom. It fails to scratch the itch to play something like the earlier Doom games in a modern skin and I have to wonder what the developers were thinking when they made certain choices with it.

Of course, the id Software of today isn't id at all. It's Bethesda and in a lot of ways that's starting to show. I don't expect they'll nail a Quake reboot as that's what it seems most likely to be.

However, many of the very things that Doom 2016 did well weren't carried over to Doom Eternal...
Yupz, and that was disappointing for me. I was looking forward to Eternal after playing 2016, and in the end I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as 2016.

...they tried too hard to evolve the sequel and by doing so it feels disconnected from the original games in concept and disconnected from the 2016 game in terms of actual gameplay.
This was a very big issue for me. I think this is where things went wrong, them trying too hard to make the sequel different, to make it its own beast. I just wanted a sequel to 2016. What we got was a carnival of what-the-****.

I wouldn't describe Doom Eternal as a terrible game. However, I would describe it as a bad Doom game. In my opinion it is the worst Doom game of all time.
Completely agree.

That being said, I don't hate it or think its absolute dog **** or anything. It just feels wrong. It's gameplay isn't Doom.
Also agree with this.

Of course, the id Software of today isn't id at all. It's Bethesda and in a lot of ways that's starting to show.
And that includes with the QA. I guess now id Software is technically owned by Microsoft, huh? I wonder if anything will change.

If the current version of id Software could be trusted, I wouldn't mind seeing a new single-player Quake. Maybe even one set in the universe from 2 and 4. But I don't expect to see anything like that from id Software anymore than I expect Epic to bust out a new single-player Unreal or even a new UT game (they almost did with that last one). Not sure I'd want the current version of Epic to attempt such anyways.

While Doom Eternal as a game may have disappointed me, props to id for idTech 7, that sh1t is awesome, and props to their art/animation team. id Software really showin' the world how to use Vulkan too. Two things I did enjoy about Doom Eternal were the graphics and the performance.

If it's doom I'm not interested. Tried the 2016 reboot and it wasn't a bad game per se but it just failed to evoke any emotion from me. It wasn't able to rekindle the brilliance of Doom I and especially II. It just seemed like a run of the mill FPS, with no distinguishing qualities to it. So I didn't even bother trying Eternal.

At this point the only classic FPS continuation that would get me excited is Unreal 3. And I wouldn't even care that it's an EGS exclusive because it would be a first party exclusive.

And that includes with the QA. I guess now id Software is technically owned by Microsoft, huh? I wonder if anything will change.
Actually, I think in the long term it will. But either way, the vast majority of the people (if not all of them) have left id a long time ago. Even if Microsoft can turn the quality of Bethesda's games around, which I think they will, it will never be the same id who brought us all those classics we know and love.

I didn't like the fact that the game required so much platforming to traverse the environment.
I agree with this. I felt like the game wanted you to be some sort of super gymnast, which got old for me quick. Hopefully this new game will be better.

What was that world war two shooter...Oh yea...Wolfenstein. I'm betting on that and a re do of the original.

Maybe Commander Keen..... Or produce another Hexen with ray tracing.

Maybe, another Rage, rawr!

After Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal, I figured they'd bust out a 3rd game. It was 4 years between 2016 and Eternal, so we might see the next Doom game in another 4 years. I mean, how many "long-running iconic action FPS" games are out there that id Software has access to?
What was that world war two shooter...Oh yea...Wolfenstein. I'm betting on that and a re do of the original.
Aahh, you think maybe they've had enough of MachineGames handling the IP, and decided to bring it back home? I actually enjoyed The New Order and The Old Blood, but I wasn't feelin' The New Colossus (though I did finish it anyways). I'd definitely be down to see id Software make another one themselves. They certainly can't do worse than MachineGames (I don't think).

After Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal, I figured they'd bust out a 3rd game. It was 4 years between 2016 and Eternal, so we might see the next Doom game in another 4 years. I mean, how many "long-running iconic action FPS" games are out there that id Software has access to?

Aahh, you think maybe they've had enough of MachineGames handling the IP, and decided to bring it back home? I actually enjoyed The New Order and The Old Blood, but I wasn't feelin' The New Colossus (though I did finish it anyways). I'd definitely be down to see id Software make another one themselves. They certainly can't do worse than MachineGames (I don't think).
Quake and Doom at the very least. Wolfenstein is weird in that studios having nothing to do with id have been cranking those out. I've never looked into why that is.

Become a Patron!
Back