GameStop Is Launching a Cryptocurrency Division and NFT Marketplace

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
gamestop-logo.jpg
Image: GameStop

GameStop has come up with a new idea to salvage its faltering business.

According to a partially pay-walled report from The Wall Street Journal, the game retailer is planning to launch a cryptocurrency division, one that will be responsible for tasks such as entering into cryptocurrency collaborations. The company is also said to be planning an online NFT marketplace that would allow users to browse and purchase items similar to popular marketplaces such as OpenSea and Decentraland,

“The retailer has hired more than 20 people to run the unit, which is building an online hub for buying, selling, and trading NFTs of virtual videogame goods such as avatar outfits and weapons, according to the people,” a portion of The Wall Street Journal’s article reads.

“The company is asking select game developers and publishers to list NFTs on its marketplace when it launches later this...

Continue reading...

Oh Geezus lord, phuk monkey...... WTF is an NFT? I had to look it up. It's stewp...... I should start drawing again

Hopefully it smells like Cheetos and Axe body spray just like the stores do.

All of this is pump and dump, a story as old as time. May last a long time though. NFTs the art of owning ownership of nothing. Not saying you can't make money of course. GameStop doesn't really have a chance anywhere else.

All of this is pump and dump, a story as old as time. May last a long time though. NFTs the art of owning ownership of nothing. Not saying you can't make money of course. GameStop doesn't really have a chance anywhere else.
Honestly, I had not been in a Gamestop/EbGames/Electronics Boutique/Software Etc from 2003 until 2019. I was actually very impressed with the stores in various locations across multiple states because of presentation, cleanliness, their product shift, and product selection. I say that as a a previous Software Etc/ EB employee from more than 25+ years ago.

NFT's are the gaming equivalent of rectal cancer. If Gamestop embraces this bullshit then it should change its slogan. "Power to the Corpos" or something.

Become a Patron!
Back