“Terminator” Franchise Terminated? “Dark Fate” Is Another Box Office Bomb

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Terminator franchise hasn't performed admirably in the box office since 2003's Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, and that fact hasn't changed with this weekend's release of Dark Fate. The direct sequel to James Cameron's T2 is shaping up to be a box office disaster, having only earned $29M thus far (and just $28M in China).

Its global finish is estimated to be no more than $330M, which is very bad news for Paramount/Skydance Media/Fox: some say Dark Fate cost $196M to make. Perhaps it's time for Arnold and Hollywood to let the T-800 rest in peace, as nobody seems to care about Terminator anymore.

Could it make up for the domestic shortfall overseas? Maybe, but it’s also opening with just $28 million in China, which is over the $26.9 million opening day of Terminator: Genisys. It’ll be lucky to clear $55 million in that key territory, proving again that the $113.25 million earned by Genisys in China was more about curiosity (and the end of a local blackout period) than any enduring fandom.

Well, after the franchise being butchered... Then what do you expect.

you just watch .. word of mouth and this movie will become a cult classic ... :poop:

I was hearing from numerous sources how good it was. Not that I would go see it myself. I think they have milked everything they could from that franchise.

I haven't enjoyed the franchise since Terminator 2.

I actually turned off Terminator 3 without finishing it, I thought it was so bad.

Last thing I remember was some Sarah Connor TV series which I also remember being pretty bad. After that I just got disillusioned and never watched anything else in the series.

I haven't enjoyed the franchise since Terminator 2.

I actually turned off Terminator 3 without finishing it, I thought it was so bad.

Last thing I remember was some Sarah Connor TV series which I also remember being pretty bad. After that I just got disillusioned and never watched anything else in the series.
Exactly the same boat. Garbage after T2. I did watched Rise in the cinema, and salvation in the cinema... Hope its a powerful thing, what can I say. Both are crap.
Only so much hope though, by Genesys, I was like they can go screw themselves ain't going, didn't even rent it. Not bothering with this either.

Way to kill what should have been a fairly lasting franchise.

T2 extended was the last movie I liked. I barely made it thru Genysys and mostly skipped the other two. This will be another to watch free on streaming, assuming I'm bored.

I'd have to disagree that it should've been a lasting franchise. They kept writing stories like it was the end and then undoing it somehow. It would seem audiences wanted some kind of finality with it and not just re-hack to make another. I think most of us we're happy to end it at T2.

Someone needs to reboot the idea of Skynet with a more realistic interpretation of how AI could legit fcuk us up.

Become a Patron!
Back