3700X memory controller

ThreeDee

Semi-regular
I just popped in my shiny new 3700X .. I was running the 2700X and it ran/runs good .. my only complaint was running 4 dimms.

I had bought 2 x 8 V-Color PC3200 bling bling RGB memory and they ran/run great... and at and a little above their rated specs.

I purchased another set of the same stuff and popped them in .. populating all 4 dimms. Set them to 3200 speeds and fired up Windows .. was getting some odd hanging here and there with loading pages in chrome and the biggy was random crashing in Hunt:Showdown.

I had to turn the speed down to 3000 (auto timings) on the ram and there it's been rock solid.

Now .. with the 3700X. The first thing I did was to boot up using same mem timings with the 2700x .. clean up device manager .. got an update for Windows and then restarted .. I set the memory to PC3200 (auto timings at that speed) and booted back into windows.

I have been "surfing" the net .. fired up a game of Hunt:Showdown .. converted some .MKV's to .MP4's .. no hiccups .. no blue screens .. no crashes.

The memory controller on these new 3700x's seem to be a bit more robust me thinks. I would have crashed many times by now with the 2700x with memory at their current (rated) speeds and all 4 dimms populated.

ASRock X470 Master SLI/AC motherboard

I'm waiting on my shiny new RX 5700XT to show up tomorrow .. and we'll see how that goes.

on a side note. My wife is running the 2200G.
With 2 8GB sticks of PC2400@PC3000 .. it's a stable great little running rig on an ASUS Prime B350.
4 sticks of the same stuff at PC2133 .. not stable. Odd hang ups with pages loading in Chrome .. programs not loading on first attempt .. wheels spinning ..etc

I was going to get the 3700X, but I've decided to wait for the 3900X instead. As soon as availability opens up I'm pouncing (@ MSRP, not MSRP X 1.75)

I know when it comes time, I'll probably go with the 3700x. The 3800x is nice, but I think for me the 3700x is a better deal. Plus I can't confirm a 3900x will work on my b450 board.

It's nice to know the expected advantages of the upgrade

Oh, I know my ASUS Crosshair VII will handle the 3900 without issue. I spent $250 for the motherboard, I better be able to use it on a chip that's 1 generation ahead :)

I've covered the topic of running 4 DIMMs a few times now. In short, AMD does not support, warranty, or guarantee in any way that you can run 4x DIMMs beyond 3,000MHz. Period, end of story. It doesn't mean that you can't do it, but success is far from guaranteed on a given configuration. There are a lot of variables there.

The memory controller is more robust. As limited as the Ryzen 3000 series IMC is in some ways, the previous generations were even more so. That is, official memory speed limits for 4 DIMMs was something like 2400MHz if I recall correctly. Now, depending on your memory being single or dual ranked, you can get 2933MHz and 2667MHz respectively on Ryzen 3000 series chips officially.

Last edited:
I've covered the topic of running 4 DIMMs a few times now. In short, AMD does not support, warranty, or guarantee in any way that you can run 4x DIMMs beyond 3,000MHz. Period, end of story. It doesn't mean that you can't do it, but success is far from guaranteed on a given configuration. There are a lot of variables there.

The memory controller is more robust. As limited as the Ryzen 3000 series IMC is in some ways, the previous generations were even more so. That is, official memory speed limits for 4 DIMMs was something like 2400MHz if I recall correctly. Now, depending on your memory being single or dual ranked, you can get 2933MHz and 2667MHz respectively on Ryzen 3000 series chips officially.
yeah that was the first thing I looked up when I couldn't get 3200 speed with 4 dimms on my 2700x and from official supported specs, I was doing good with 3000 speeds .. and I wasn't expecting to get rated speeds with 4 dimms with my 3700x .. I was hopeful though .. and lo and behold .. here I am running my memory's rated speeds with 4 dimms populated. Color me happy .. officially supported or not, lol. :cool:

I get my 3700X tomorrow. Here's to hoping I can get my rated speeds with 4 slots populated... :D

I think the board still has a big part to play in running memory speed.

My 2700X that would run 4 sticks of 16GB 3200 on a CH7 would only do 2933 on a B450 E Strix. These are with the same memory sticks.

I think the board still has a big part to play in running memory speed.

My 2700X that would run 4 sticks of 16GB 3200 on a CH7 would only do 2933 on a B450 E Strix. These are with the same memory sticks.
How well is your 3700X running on your CH7? That's the destination for the 3700X I just purchased..

I had problems getting it to run on the first BIOS that claimed it was 3rd gen ready. 2401 was nice but I lost mouse control in the BIOS. Updated last night to the version starting with 25xx and it fixed the mouse issues in the BIOS - overall it seems ok.

It runs fine with DOCP on 4 sticks of 64GB 3200 Corsair LPXs and a -0.04v core voltage offset and there are no apparent problems but I'm not trying to OC/eke out max performance from the chip. TBH I didn't notice a big performance jump from PBO, although it seems the last BIOS removed PBO tweaking for zen2. Wonder if it's coming back in the next BIOS version with the updated AGESA. I want to try dialing in the TDP values of a 3800X.

Sensors say I've boosted to 4.35xxx so boost should be working ok.

All in all the machine is pretty stable once I got the BIOS updated the first time.

Just FYI -- PBO is apparently present in the 2501 BIOS. It's just that the multiple options was separated from one screen now into two.

Haven't tried it yet though.

Loving my 3700X currently. TPU II doesn't really overclock much at all with the 3700X installed (At least I don't get the advertised overclock %tage on the BIOS post screen). I'm going to have to play with a wiped BIOS and then tinker with the PBO options..

You won't ever see boost clocks shown at the POST screen. This is normal.

You won't ever see boost clocks shown at the POST screen. This is normal.
Yeah.. I realize that Dan.. With the ASUS CH7, if you use their TPU overclocking function, you would get a text message on the screen. 55
When I use the TPU function with my 1700X, and 2700X I would get this message. With the 3700X I don't get anything on the screen on power-up.

Just to reiterate on how important these boards are to actual memory overclocks...

Checked that the Strix E B450 uses a daisy chain topology (best with 2 sticks) while the GB X470 uses T Topology (best with 4 sticks).

4x16GB = B450 E would only do 2933 Max
2x8GB = GB X470 would only do 2933 Max

I removed a pair of 16GB sticks from the Strix E and moved it to the GB X470, and both are now running happily at 3200mhz without additional voltage.

Now:
2700X on B450 E - 2x16GB at 3200
2600X on GB X470 - 2x8 + 2x16GB at 3200

You'd expect the B450 to behave as it did when removing the 2 DIMMs, allowing higher memory speeds.
What I did not expect was that adding 2 DIMMs to the GB board allowed it to clock higher by 266mhz.

Last edited:
Guess I'll find out if the Aorus Ultra X570 board can run the 3600 TridentZ RAM I ordered.

Yeah.. I realize that Dan.. With the ASUS CH7, if you use their TPU overclocking function, you would get a text message on the screen. View attachment 55
When I use the TPU function with my 1700X, and 2700X I would get this message. With the 3700X I don't get anything on the screen on power-up.

To be perfectly honest, I don't ever use that.

Just to update, I do have my TridentZ sticks running at 3600. 4x8 config, Hynix sticks, 16CL at 3600. Not bad. Working on getting them to 15CL.

What are those modules rated at? The guys at Microcenter were telling me that those didn't overclock for ****. Granted, I wouldn't generally listen to those guys but I almost impulse bought some as they seem popular and I like the way they look. Typically, if someone at a retail store is discouraging you from buying something without pushing something more expensive, its for a good reason.

I meant to look into it, but hadn't thought about it until your post.

Become a Patron!
Back