3dfx Interactive Rises from the Grave, Teases “Major Announcement” after Being Acquired by NVIDIA over 20 Years Ago

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
3dfx-interactive-logo-with-face-painted-guy-1024x576.jpg
Image: vermaden

3dfx Interactive is a company that should be familiar to most GPU and graphics cards enthusiasts who grew up during the nineties, having developed historic products and technologies such as the various Voodoo Graphics add-in cards and Glide API for enhancing rendering performance. While the company has long been out of game due to its acquisition by NVIDIA over 20 years ago (December 15, 2000), 3dfx Interactive shocked its fans today by making a tweet indicating that it is planning some sort of comeback two decades after its dismissal. There is little indication on what this could be about, but 3dfx Interactive has promised that it will have more to share as part of a “major announcement” scheduled for Thursday, August 5. A member associated with Russia’s ModLabs.net...

Continue reading...

I... I'm curious sure. But in the time of limited availability, rising prices of production, is NOW really the time to make a competitive return to a market you lost?

Lets say their cards are SUBSTATIALLY BETTER. What will they be able to produce/sell?

BUT... given what their products were like before... maybe we are talking about an add-in type card to expand functionality of existing cards. Like a card specifically for Raytracing. That could prove interesting if they can get it to work with existing cards like they did their 3d only cards before.

I'm guessing it won't even be a hardware product. It could be something as simple as a new version of GLIDE, or some library/software for retrofitting/upsampling older games, or something like that.

Gotta admit - an AI or RT upsampled version of Quake (among any number of other games that were famous in the era) with a 3dfx logo on it would probably sell well. I'd shell out for a remaster of Interstate 76...

Considering Nvidia owns all of their Voodoo technology (and even the name I think) from when they bought them out in 2002... I have no idea what this could be about. But hey maybe they had a non-compete clause in the contract that just expired or something. I would find it shocking if 3dfx has discovered some awesome new technology by this point.

Watch it be something dumb not even 3D / GPU related.

Still.... it did catch my attention.

Pretty sure back then I had a MASSIVE NEC monitor and I was playing at 1600x1200... pretty sure. But it was on two Voodoo2's in SLI.

We may finally get Rampage!!!! Geforce4 Ti be afraid, be very afraid...

Become a Patron!
Back