A 10 Most Optimized Games of 2019 List

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
1577723253765.png
Image: The FPS Review

A best-of optimized game list may help PC gamer's make choices but also exposes the controversial topic of optimization. Dark Side Of Gaming produced an interesting list culled from their 2019 game reviews. This list is not about best graphics, or best looking, but about those games that surpassed their console version on PC to give better performance. It does not pick sides of graphic cards, or CPU's either, so owners on any side of the fence need not worry about proprietary features to have the best experience.

Games on the list:
  • Gears 5
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake
  • Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood
  • Rage 2
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • World War Z
  • Apex Legends
Which games would you suggest for a list like this?

I admit I may not agree with everything on this list but as stated it is a controversial topic. I do agree with the game they ranked No. 1-Resident Evil 2 Remake. Outside of of the last Doom game I haven't seen another game scale so well on so many different rigs. Little to no stutter, crashes, or other performance issues either. Checked some nice boxes like Atmos and HDR as well.

I own a number of those games and agree. They all run flawlessly.
Glad to hear it. I'm curious about Fallen Order but will wait. Origin usually put's the new ones up around 6 months later. I can wait.

edit: Also curious about Wolfenstein. I'll wait on that one too.

I think optimised is a difficult term to define.
Sekiro is optimised, it is 12 gb or so and has tremendous graphics and speed for the size

In contrast The latest Jedi game is 55gb and a slight downgrade in graphics and sometimes stutters.

Only one game I have played really uses all 8 cores of my processor to any great extent (level loading doesn’t count) and that is assassin’s creed origins. Whether this is by design or not is another question, the data load for that is huge.

The worst in terms of size is gears 5, at an enormous 150gb or so, but I didn’t see it warranting the payload, graphics or otherwise.

Last edited:
I think optimised is a difficult term to define.
Sekiro is optimised, it is 12 gb or so and has tremendous graphics and speed for the size

In contrast The latest Jedi game is 55gb and a slight downgrade in graphics and sometimes stutters.

Only one game I have played really uses all 8 cores of my processor to any great extent (level loading doesn’t count) and that is assassin’s creed origins. Whether this is by design or not is another question, the dad loaf for that is huge.

The worst in terms of size is gears 5, at an enormous 150gb or so, but I didn’t see it warranting the payload, graphics or otherwise.
I think you hit a number of valid points and that's the point of why 'optimized' is a controversial perspective. With each new storage/speed metric we find new price point challenges along with their actual price per GB vs. load times. That's even more to consider for the PC strategy. As someone who recently upgraded to PCIe 4.0 I'm already checking those metrics and prices.

edit: In DSOG's thread I read a number of users who argued about Fallen Order's inclusion for that same reason. It's also a reason I've held off on buying.

assassin’s creed origins.
I'll have to check that out, just not a fan of UBI making their own launcher. I know it's hypocritical but now I've got Steam, Epic, Rockstar, and Origin. I registered with UBI but haven't really followed up with it. I loved Assassins Cred IV but mainly because it reminded me of Sid Meiers Pirates!. Huge Sid Meiers fan BTW.

I think 50gb (give or take) is ok for a AAA game, but anything more is getting a bit ridiculous unless there is a very good reason for it.

Made the jump to 1440p 144hz earlier this year. Didn't realize how big of a performance hit it would be. Gears 5 and Jedi Fallen Order both ran extremely well on my system. I was very impressed with Star Wars. Wasn't the best visually.. but it ran very well.

Would like to see a list of the worst optimized games of 2019... Outer Worlds.. Cough..

Is running well the benchmark? I mean Origins ran well. Heck Batman games work fine in my computer but are universally seen as poorly done.

Fallen order has the frame rate parry bug thing ..

COD:MW is currently sitting at 146 GB on my drive.

I don't even care about the size of games any more. Storage is cheap.

I only care about game size with respect to the time it takes my slow ancient ISP to allow me to download them

I haven't played the vast majority of that list. I would disagree slightly with Ghost Recon Breakpoint. I do agree with Fallen Order and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. They are butter smooth.

Become a Patron!
Back