A somewhat awkward question . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the future of [H] being in question with Kyle leaving Intel affect this site? I know most (all?) of you are former [H] staffers. If [H] is spun up again, will you return there and abandon this nascent project? I hope not. I like how things are shaping up here, and I worry [H] will be on shaky foundations going forward, even if it's taken out of mothballs.

Currently, all of us are former [H] staffers (though, I "retired" 3ish years ago, the rest were on board until the end). I'm not going anywhere and the rest of the crew here can make their own decisions if that choice is ever presented to them. At this point, I've sunk a significant amount of time and coin into this venture, so I intend on trying to build it to some level of success in attempt to make that money back.

I can't speak for the other guys so this is just my stance. First off, I do not think Kyle is going to restart HardOCP anytime soon if ever. He's pretty much said as much recently. I have other reasons to think that which I'm not going to get into. We have done a bunch of work towards getting this venture off the ground and we have a chance to not only make this site succeed but make it our own. We have a great deal more freedom here and I for one want to see where this road leads.

I'm glad to hear it guys! When asked if he was going to restart [H] in the left-Intel thread over there, Kyle said he didn't know, which is why I asked here what would happen if he did. I look forward to seeing how this new venture grows and evolves. Y'all are definitely launching with a solid foundation.

I'm glad to hear it guys! When asked if he was going to restart [H] in the left-Intel thread over there, Kyle said he didn't know, which is why I asked here what would happen if he did. I look forward to seeing how this new venture grows and evolves. Y'all are definitely launching with a solid foundation.

As I said, I would be immensely surprised if Kyle was going to restart [H]ard|OCP anytime soon. I have a feeling he had another job lined up but hasn't announced it yet.

As I said, I would be immensely surprised if Kyle was going to restart [H]ard|OCP anytime soon. I have a feeling he had another job lined up but hasn't announced it yet.

AMD does have big offices in Texas. Who knows! ;)

AMD does have big offices in Texas. Who knows! ;)

It's a good guess. I don't know if that's what's going on. I figure he will tell everyone when he feels the time is right.

They are in Austin. I think Kyle likes Austin but the cost of living is allot higher than it is in DFW and there is nothing to do out there unless you want to eat out all the time and go bar hoping with teenagers. Traffic is terrible, the roads are terrible, etc. I stayed out there for three weeks training while working for IBM a few years back. I hated almost every minute of it.

So glad to see you guys banded together and started this site. As great as Kyle and [H] are, it was your content that kept me going back and waiting for reviews before purchasing.

I'm assuming there's probably a reason why there's not more of announcement over at [H] regarding FPS Review (I only discovered it thanks to a stray comment on the Hardforum).

I'm assuming there's probably a reason why there's not more of announcement over at [H] regarding FPS Review.

Yes, there are several reasons. I don't really want to go down the rabbit hole on this, but primarily it comes down to decency. We don't want to be seen as trying to divide and pilfer the HardForum community for our own gain.

the question I want to know is...is there any bad blood between any of the former OCP reviewers and Kyle regarding how everything went down...did he give you guys enough notice before shutting that part of the site down?...I know Steve left on somewhat bad terms...I have my own theories...

the question I want to know is...is there any bad blood between any of the former OCP reviewers and Kyle regarding how everything went down...did he give you guys enough notice before shutting that part of the site down?...I know Steve left on somewhat bad terms...I have my own theories...

Based on my conversations with everyone and that the review equipment was left with them to continue if they wish, there's nothing to see here from a bad blood perspective. Most reviewers did (and still do) this as a side job/hobby, so it's generally not "make it or break it" sort of income that they're relying upon but rather spare pocket change.

For Steve theories, Kyle has stated his side of the events that went down in GenMay at some point and then locked the thread. I assume that with enough searching you'll be able to find his side of the story and I'm guessing you can figure out Steve's from his Facebook page or his site. It's not something that I care for us to get into around here.

This would probably have to be a question answered by each of us individually. We all had very different personal and working relationships with Kyle. Speaking for myself, I knew that the site was going to get shut down eventually. I had warning of this well in advance. However, I was never privy to the exact date or anything. When we had a conversation about that sometime before it happened, Kyle was obviously weighing his options. When an opportunity presented itself he got a job and then shut the site down. It was fairly sudden from our perspective. Again, I knew it was coming but the timeline I was aware of was much shorter than expected.

Personally, I think Kyle was looking for a way out as I believe he was done with the review business. He'd been in it for more than 20 years and some of us had been with him for most of it. I worked for the man for nearly 15 years. I think Brent and Steve were the only ones that had me beat on time.

As for the Steve thing, I've heard straight from the horse's mouth on that one. Well, at least Kyle's side. I'm not going to go into details, but I'd almost bet your theories are wrong. All I will say is that the hardware review industry changed a lot from its golden age. It was no longer as lucrative as it once was. Kyle simply had to trim back expenses and Kyle couldn't afford to continue paying Steve a full time salary. It was a simple business decision.

The business part of it I mentioned above is effectively what was in Kyle's post on the subject. The bad blood part of it, well, that's not something that I'm going to get into. I've heard it from Kyle, but my account of that is second hand and really, there is no point in dredging that kind of **** up.

Based on my conversations with everyone and that the review equipment was left with them to continue if they wish, there's nothing to see here from a bad blood perspective. Most reviewers did (and still do) this as a side job/hobby, so it's generally not "make it or break it" sort of income that they're relying upon but rather spare pocket change.

For Steve theories, Kyle has stated his side of the events that went down in GenMay at some point and then locked the thread. I assume that with enough searching you'll be able to find his side of the story and I'm guessing you can figure out Steve's from his Facebook page or his site. It's not something that I care for us to get into around here.

Indeed, I don't rely on the money for reviewing hardware and frankly, I never have. It's always been a side job and a bit of a hobby more than anything. I do it because I like the access to hardware and some of the experiences that I've been allowed to have as a result of being in the business. We decided to keep doing this because although Kyle was done with the business, we weren't and wished to continue. I'm just glad that Kyle made that so much easier on us by allowing us to keep our equipment. It made starting back up considerably easier and vastly less expensive than it would have been otherwise.

As for the Steve thing, I've heard straight from the horse's mouth on that one. Well, at least Kyle's side. I'm not going to go into details, but I'd almost bet your theories are wrong. All I will say is that the hardware review industry changed a lot from its golden age. It was no longer as lucrative as it once was. Kyle simply had to trim back expenses and Kyle couldn't afford to continue paying Steve a full time salary. It was a simple business decision.

when I stated that I had my theories, I wasn't referring to Steve...I have no idea about that and just read some of Steve's postings after he left...

Last edited:
Will the future of [H] being in question with Kyle leaving Intel affect this site? I know most (all?) of you are former [H] staffers. If [H] is spun up again, will you return there and abandon this nascent project? I hope not. I like how things are shaping up here, and I worry [H] will be on shaky foundations going forward, even if it's taken out of mothballs.

I can tell you, because I don't think he would mind, that straight from the horses mouth the answer is no [H] won't be coming back. That is current as of this weekend.

I can't really see the old guy shuttering the [H] forum - it's still very popular and it wasn't that long ago he was posting that the health of the forum was very good. (Based on traffic volume, low maintenance costs, or something along those lines).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Become a Patron!
Back