Activision Confirms Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II Phone Number Requirement

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II on PC will require a text-enabled mobile phone number in order to play.

Go to post

Thankfully since I already have an account I can skip this nonsense.

It's to protect the value of peoples 'skins' that they paid in excess of 1k in value.

This trend needs to die.

Skins, collectibles, etc. just ruin the online game experience.
Nah, I've never found that they add or detract from it in particular. If a company wants to monetize around these things, I am 100% for it because the whales eat it up, the game gets funded, and I don't feel the need to ever have to - that's a win-win in my book.

At least that's my opinion about it. It's something I have been able to easily ignore.

I prefer games where skill + time invested = results. A lot of times I do not have the skill, but if I'm willing to invest the time (in upgrading, leveling, whatever the mechanic is), I can eventually brute force my way into being able to continue down some path of progression. I do have limits on how much time I'm willing to invest - I do like to see periodic payouts, but generally I'm fairly patient and willing to grind out something if I'm interested enough in the process and desire the end results.

I find two things that do ruin online games for me.

Predatory monetization -- you have to buy your way in with cash.

One example: Asian games are notorious for this: the path to upgrade items is an iterative process and success random: if you fail, your item is reverted to a lower state, and the chance of success gets lower and lower the higher grade item you try to upgrade. Going from a +1 to +2 is relatively low resources and will almost always succeed, whereas going from a +19 to +20 requires a considerable amount of resources and has a very low chance to succeed - and failure results in going from +19 back down to +18. So, of course, they don't sell the items or upgrade material in the cash shop, because that would be P2W -- they sell items that increase the odds of success (which, of course, is also P2W, but they can point to some very specific definitions and claim it isn't).

P2W games always end up with a very skewed population -- those that don't sink a lot of cash are all around some power level, and those that do are ... significantly better off. I don't see skins or customizations affecting game play in that manner though - but I do see them sometimes affect the community; I can recall in a couple of games where skins or achievements are awarded for specific things, and in order to get groups with people, you needed to be able to show off those things as "proof" that you had what it took to do whatever it was they would be grouping up with -- those generally weren't cash-shop related, but in game achievements that, of course, could be cheesed if you had the right friends (which, leads to Item 2).

The other thing that ruins online games are the community. More than half the reason I play online games is for the community. If I don't enjoy the community, then I'll just go play an offline game. I'm not saying the community needs to be filled with Angels and Nuns who wouldn't dare even say "Darn" - just that if you don't gel with the folks there, whatever your jam may be, why stick around?

Nah, I've never found that they add or detract from it in particular. If a company wants to monetize around these things, I am 100% for it because the whales eat it up, the game gets funded, and I don't feel the need to ever have to - that's a win-win in my book.

At least that's my opinion about it. It's something I have been able to easily ignore.

I can't even play the likes of Counter-Strike anymore.

Casual games have devolved into mic spamming about skin trading.

I hated it in Counter Strike. I hated it in PUBG when I played that, and I even hated it when it reared its ugly face in Far Cry 6.

This **** is just awful and is ruining gaming. I don't think it is easily ignore-able at all.

It changes the entire vibe of the multiplayer game.

I want an end to official servers and matchmaking. Force all players to play on community servers, and kill all tradeable items and micro-transactions.

That's the ONLY thing that will return multiplayer games to being enjoyable. Without it they are unplayable, IMHO.

Last edited:
I can't even play the likes of Counter-Strike anymore.
Ah that may be my disconnect - I haven't ever played in games where you can trade that stuff. That would be different I suspect.

Ah that may be my disconnect - I haven't ever played in games where you can trade that stuff. That would be different I suspect.
Imagine if they monetized diablo like that.... oh wait...

Become a Patron!
Back