Activision Is Charging Modern Warfare Players $20 to See Their Kill-Death Ratio

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Can you imagine having to pay money to see basic stats during multiplayer? Well, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare players don't have to, since that's exactly what Activision is pulling: the publisher has decided to charge gamers $20 just to see their death count during Team Deathmatch and other MP modes. This was not a thing in past Call of Duty titles.

…the cosmetic store for December’s “Season One” content drop features a watch that tracks the player’s kills and deaths. The “Time to Die” watch is found within the “Mother Russia” bundle, which is a 10-piece cosmetic collection priced at 2000 COD Points, or $20.

Wasn't this the game that cracked half a billion?

They pulled K/D out of it so people who suck at the game wouldn't realize just how bad they sucked at the game. So now, if you want the stat, you have to buy it back? WTF? I will say, I don't think K/D is everything. A lot of people act like its the only measurement of performance that matters. If you kill 4 people and have a 4.0 K/D, I'm not going to be impressed. On the other hand, you could have a 1.8 K/D and 40 kills and I'll be far more impressed. It's also likely, you were far more useful to the team in that scenario.

They pulled K/D out of it so people who suck at the game wouldn't realize just how bad they sucked at the game. So now, if you want the stat, you have to buy it back? WTF? I will say, I don't think K/D is everything. A lot of people act like its the only measurement of performance that matters. If you kill 4 people and have a 4.0 K/D, I'm not going to be impressed. On the other hand, you could have a 1.8 K/D and 40 kills and I'll be far more impressed. It's also likely, you were far more useful to the team in that scenario.
The last time I played online FPS games I usually had horrible K/D ratios simply because I was a team player. I tended to play medic or engineer mostly so it wasn't my job to make sure everything died. However, I did have to suicide a lot in order to get things done to continue the match/map. As an engineer that meant running into certain death in order to finish building or activating something and as a medic to run in and revive the engineer so that could be done.

I also wasn't the best shot by any means but I guarandamntee you that I helped win a lot more matches by correctly playing my role than even the best person with the highest K/D ratio.

Still, it was a lot of fun seeing my K/D ratio shoot up for a bit when half the opposing team got blown up when failing to defuse my dynamite in time.

meh, you still see your K/D at the end of the match. No purchase necessary. The watch that comes with the season 1 pass shows you it during the match.

Sensational headline is sensational.

And I like the season pass. It's not a "pay to win" deal either. Provides a lot of challenges that make the game interesting. You can unlock some pre-kitted weapons, but there isn't anything special about them that you couldn't do yourself by leveling up a weapon.

I'm glad I don't play online anymore so this doesn't affect me. It's getting ridiculous how everything is a cash grab now.

Become a Patron!
Back