Adobe Plans to Make Photoshop on the Web Free to Everyone

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Adobe is planning to make Photoshop on the web free to everyone, according to a new report from The Verge, which spoke with the company and received new details regarding the online version of its premier graphics software.

Go to post

Kind of ridiculous.

Rather than a dumb "web" version, they should revisit their pricing model. Their current monthly subscription model may work for professional users, but for occasional users it just isn't feasible. $20 per month if you only need it a couple of times a year is just too much.

Sure, photoshop has more capability than Gimp, but for the occasional scale or cleanup job it just isn't needed, and $20 is not reasonable for the typical home user.

Web based software is just not something I am ever going to use, even if it is free. Nor is subscription based software.

Software needs to be local, installed and it needs to be in native compiled binaries. The trend towards making absolutely everything web based needs to end.

I thought they already had a free version for hobbyers and the like? Maybe multiple versions even?

I'd worry about using the web based for anything without completely understanding the fine print. You are effectively giving your images to adobe when you do this and who knows what rights you are giving up in regards to monetization of the images.

Become a Patron!
Back