Al Pacino Reveals He Turned Down Han Solo Role in Star Wars: “I Gave Harrison Ford a Career”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Al Pacino could have shot first (or, as George Lucas would have it, second). During a talk this week at The 92nd Street Y cultural and community center in Manhattan, New York, the 82-year-old actor, who is regarded by many as being one of the greatest ever, revealed that he was offered the role of one of Star Wars' most popular characters, Han Solo, back in the day, but that he turned it down because he didn't "understand it." "I gave Harrison Ford a career," Pacino claimed before going on to share some stories about his most popular movies, including Scarface and Heat, which seemingly included sniffing cocaine.

See full article...

Yeah Al, but no. Sure he and who knows how many others got the offer as I've read many such stories regarding some interesting more-known actors of the time for various roles in A New Hope but it was also clear the Ford was headed for big things. Sure SW became a huge launch pad but he already had impressed George when they worked together in American Graffiti where he kind of stole the show and he'd already starred in a bunch of notable TV shows. Not denying that Mr. Pacino is a great actor, just saying that Mr. Ford's career would've taken off either way.

Become a Patron!
Back