Alienware Announces 500 Hz Fast IPS Gaming Monitor, New Aurora R15 Desktop Configurations, and Interstellar Clothing Line

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Alienware has announced the AW2524H, a new IPS gaming monitor that supports refresh rates of up to 500 Hz, making it a world's first, according to the company, which can also confirm that the display has already earned a CES 2023 Innovation Award and is a Best of Innovation winner.

See full article...

Ignoring the extreme uselessness of such high refresh rates, I'm just surprised that someone was able to bust out a 500Hz display that is NOT a piece-of-sh1t TN panel.

You know, come to think of it, where something like this might actually be useful, is if they were set up to do what good TV's used to do, update the same frame multiple times at a higher refresh rate.

I don't quite claim to understand why this improves display quality, but reportedly it at least did in the past.

If it supports up to 500hz, you could - for example - run at 120fps, and update the same static frame 4 times at 480hz.

If this still works as it did back in the old HDTV panel days, maybe it would reduce the type of motion blurring my Asus XG438Q is prone to at high refresh.

You know, come to think of it, where something like this might actually be useful, is if they were set up to do what good TV's used to do, update the same frame multiple times at a higher refresh rate.

I don't quite claim to understand why this improves display quality, but reportedly it at least did in the past.

If it supports up to 500hz, you could - for example - run at 120fps, and update the same static frame 4 times at 480hz.

If this still works as it did back in the old HDTV panel days, maybe it would reduce the type of motion blurring my Asus XG438Q is prone to at high refresh.
Didn't know about any of that but makes sense to me. Plasma days?

Didn't know about any of that but makes sense to me. Plasma days?

I think it was LCD. It came up in my searches back in ~2015 when I was looking into what the point of 120hz panels on TV's with interfaces that only supported 60hz inputs were, other than marketing and printing "wow 120hz" on the box.

I think my old Samsung JS9000 TV does this. It has an VA panel. Samsung called it SuperVA or SVA.

The only thing I'm familiar with when it comes to "120Hz" or "240Hz" LCD HDTVs is motion interpolation, where HDTVs look at the previous frame, the upcoming frame, and make up a frame in between those. Some HDTVs used a black frame, and some HDTVs used a frame made up of the previous and next frames. Samsung called it AutoMotion. LG called it TruMotion, and I'm sure the other manufacturers had their own names for the tech. It was very handy for 30fps games, but it used to cause hella input lag. I first started seeing motion interpolation in HDTVs around 2007. But the shiznit @Zarathustra is talking about is something I am completely unfamiliar with, and don't recall hearing about before.

I remember TruMotion and etc all being supposedly ~the thing~ for live sports for some reason. I think it's still on my LG OLED as Sports mode.

The only thing I'm familiar with when it comes to "120Hz" or "240Hz" LCD HDTVs is motion interpolation, where HDTVs look at the previous frame, the upcoming frame, and make up a frame in between those. Some HDTVs used a black frame, and some HDTVs used a frame made up of the previous and next frames. Samsung called it AutoMotion. LG called it TruMotion, and I'm sure the other manufacturers had their own names for the tech. It was very handy for 30fps games, but it used to cause hella input lag. I first started seeing motion interpolation in HDTVs around 2007. But the shiznit @Zarathustra is talking about is something I am completely unfamiliar with, and don't recall hearing about before.

I've been trying to google it without success.

I might just be thinking of black frame insertion. Not sure.

But I do not remember a black frame being mentioned.

I've never owned such a TV, but what @DrezKill described is familiar. Though manufacturers had unique marketing names for the technologies, some review sites preferred the label "fake refresh rates", because the advertising was often deceptive, and one couldn't rely on the published refresh rate to make an informed buying decision. I haven't been shopping for a TV lately, so the use of past tense may have been a mistake, but at least the practice is now well known.

Become a Patron!
Back