AM4 Platform “Will Continue for Many Years to Come,” says AMD Chair and CEO Dr. Lisa Su

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD Chair and CEO Dr. Lisa Su had plenty to say during her keynote at Computex 2022 today regarding red team's next-generation 600-Series chipset and Ryzen 7000 Series processors, but one of the more surprising things pertained to the company's current AM4 platform.

Go to post

AM4 was a great platform... Let it retire a happy little clam. AM5 is where they need to be focusing, bringing the same level of commitment they did with AM4 to the AM5 platform!!

For at least another generation, maybe two, it’s going to be really hard to do budget builds with DDR5 RAM.

AM4 gives them as easy way to provide that, without the cost of having to support specialized RAM controllers and timing and everything that comes with that in every CPU.

AM5 for Ryzen 5 and up, AM4 for Ryzen 3 - and split the APUs at some suitable point. Not forever, but another Gen or two makes sense to me

Yeah we'll see. I'm impressed with AMD that AM4 lived this long, but I don't see them cranking out new product for it. But who knows I am often wrong.

Yeah we'll see. I'm impressed with AMD that AM4 lived this long, but I don't see them cranking out new product for it. But who knows I am often wrong.
That could be as well - if they don't completely stop production of Zen3, just taper it down. Nothing wrong with an older generation, particularly if you are on a budget. The only issue i see with that is that production costs won't really drop from where they are now - so there is a floor to where the cost for these could fall to, and the big benefit of jumping process nodes is that, theoretically anyway, you get more performance out of that same production cost. But one generation back, that isn't uncommon at all... and if you are Intel, you milk an architecture and node for at least 7 generations, maybe more. (i kid, i kid, but only a little bit)

What if they make Zen 4 cores for AM4 sockets but stuck on PCIE 4?

What if they make Zen 4 cores for AM4 sockets but stuck on PCIE 4?
Not sure if that'd be possible. the CPU is expecting to run on PCIe 5.0. Even the CPU Lanes would be running out of spec. Mind you, PCIe4 is probably more than enough for current day needs, but I don't see them supporting it.

Become a Patron!
Back