AMD Announces 3rd Gen Ryzen Desktop Processor Line-Up

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Dr. Lisa Su has ended all speculation regarding AMD’s third-generation Ryzen lineup. There is a total of five additions to the family, led by the flagship Ryzen 9 3900X. This is a 12-core, 24-thread CPU with a base frequency of 3.8 GHz and boost frequency of 4.6 GHz for $499. All of these parts will be available on July 7, 2019.

How do they stack up against the competition? Very well, it seems. Here is a sampling of how the Ryzen 3000 series compares to Intel’s parts:
  • Ryzen 7 3700X vs. i7-9700K with real-time rendering: The Ryzen 7 3700X offered 1% more single-threaded, and 30% more in multi-threaded performance.
  • Ryzen 7 3800X vs. i9-9900K with PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds gameplay: The Ryzen 7 3800X matched the performance of the i9-9900K.
  • Ryzen 9 3900X vs. i9-9920X with Blender Render: The Ryzen 9 3900X beat the Intel i9 9920X by more than 16%.
The new “Zen 2” core widely outperforms the historical generational performance improvement industry trend, up to 15% estimated instructions per clock (IPC)2 uplift over the predecessor “Zen” architecture. The “Zen 2” CPU core powering the next-generation AMD Ryzen and EPYC™ processors also includes significant design improvements including lager cache sizes and a redesigned floating point engine.

Well, a lot of the rumors were definitely wrong, but 12 cores at 105W TDP is not to be sneered at-beats 2920X, though fewer memory channels. The 64MB L3 vs 32 on the 8 core also means that there is definitely 16 cores under the hood, so I wonder when that puppy will tape out. And heck, 4MB L3/core base is pretty darn nice.

Pretty awesome, interesting that she stated that Navi is actually a divergence from GCN. That just poses a hell a lot of questions since most thought it was the last generation using GCN.

I am wondering how older motherboards will handle Zen 2 or Ryzen 3000 series. While I would like to have a X570 system, maybe using my X370 will be enough. So many questions that will need to be answered, maybe months before we really know.

I am wondering how older motherboards will handle Zen 2 or Ryzen 3000 series. While I would like to have a X570 system, maybe using my X370 will be enough. So many questions that will need to be answered, maybe months before we really know.

Most are supposed to be able to handle the new CPUs, from the articles I've seen, aside from some lower end boards. If it can meet the minimum electrical requirements for R3k, it will get an update was the message from the major manufacturers. Most already have, so check your board's BIOS support page. The challenge is the PCIe4, which can't travel more than a few inches without a repeater, which is what the 3/4 series boards lack and the 5s have. Most apparently will have at least the first x16 slot 4.0, but everything else will be on 3.0. If dual graphics are used, I think it will be x8 at 3.0 for both.

I must be one of the few that is rather disappointed with this announcement. Their replacement for the 2700X (the 3800X) is priced almost $75 more.

I must be one of the few that is rather disappointed with this announcement. Their replacement for the 2700X (the 3800X) is priced almost $75 more.

That's because you are looking at the whole thing wrong.

The 2700x is being replaced by the 3700x, hence the number up in revision.

The 3800x and 3900x are entirely new stacks meant to be placed above that product stack due to an improvement in performance and the yield.

So you are comparing last year's flagship with an entirely new product line in the ryzen series. That's not apples to apples.

I wouldn't say the 3800X is a new stack, I think many were wondering why there wasn't a 2800X after the well received 1800X. The canned corporate benchies put the 3800X over the 9900k at lower clocks/power, which is fantastic if it really pans out. Now all we need is a TR with a competitive AVX512 implementation and I might make the switch back to the red team over Intel's 4 year stagnation.

Become a Patron!
Back