AMD Burns NVIDIA Over Melting GeForce RTX 40 Series Power Connectors

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Sasa Marinkovic, AMD's senior director of gaming marketing, has taken to Twitter in an attempt to publicly shame NVIDIA over its melted power connector controversy, posting a photo of what he thinks is a much better alternative.

See full article...

I need popcorn.

Oh.... And... a new 7900xtx which will be really easy to swap out for my 6900xt w/o needing any new cables or power supplies.

Its a good burn though. At the very least this will guarantee 1 story of melting AMD, you know revenge style, probably by some bored NV fan that has money or makes videos to go viral.

Its a good burn though. At the very least this will guarantee 1 story of melting AMD, you know revenge style, probably by some bored NV fan that has money or makes videos to go viral.
If AMD had decided to produce a part that could challenge the RTX 4090, and they had used the 12VHPWR connector, they'd wind up in the same boat as Nvidia.

Remember that this is a PCI-SIG connector, not an 'Nvidia' connector, and that whatever solution the industry comes up with to reduce user error induced melting, AMD will likely wind up implementing (as well as Intel when they get their higher-power parts to market).

I thought it was nvidias initially, only they pushed gave it away to be a standard. (?)
Well , if they had no role whatsoever and have only been the earliest adopters, then they are a victim too.

I thought it was nvidias initially, only they pushed gave it away to be a standard. (?)
Well , if they had no role whatsoever and have only been the earliest adopters, then they are a victim too.
Nvidia had already moved to the 12-pin version, which lacks the four sense pins of the 12VHPWR, but still supplied 600W. The new connector is an attempt to make power delivery more stable by providing coordination between GPU and PSU, but that effort is obviously overshadowed by issues with the new connector.

(note, I'm not saying that the connector shouldn't be improved, even Nvidia is working on this with PCI-SIG, just that as it is, it is certainly functional when employed as designed)

Become a Patron!
Back