AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su Shuts Down Rumors of Her Leaving for IBM

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Wccftech published a story this morning claiming that Dr. Lisa Su was planning to leave AMD for a position at IBM, but it has turned out to be a complete work of fiction. Su took to Twitter shortly after the rumors surfaced and said there was "zero truth" to them, confirming her allegiance to AMD.

The article claimed that Su would be exiting the company in the fall for the "#2 position" at IBM. Ex-Synaptics CEO Rick Bergman, who was recently hired by AMD to lead its PC and Semi-Custom business, was being tapped as her successor.

Lisa Su is planning to launch AMD’s Rome CPUs tomorrow and from everything we have heard so far, it is going to be a resounding success. Leaving the company in a technically and financially sound condition means that her successor should have a fairly easy job until Intel rolls out its response to AMD’s Zen parts.

Lisa Su may be a bad *** CEO but she's not dealt with a company a broad and cumbersome as IBM. This is a fallacy on many facets.

IBM is in Big Iron Computing. Very few companies are as relied on for large compute as IBM.

IBM is in business systems. AIX, CAD, and systems of that sort.

BIG Iron again if you need raw I/O you are running on IBM hardware... at least to date. (And I mean I/O that makes NVME look like a bottleneck.)

If you want a server that's going to run for 10+ years AND still be supported you go IBM.

IBM has services, they can be a companies only IT solution, they can be a companies helpdesk and IT solutions provider for every aspect of their business. That is where IBM fits.

Going from making CPU's and end user/sever CPU's and GPU's to custom Retail solutions to what IBM does is a paradigm shift as a CEO.

AMD Market cap: 31.33 B
IBM Market cap: 124.67 B

You don't just step into a company worth 4 times yours as CEO. MAYBE as a number 2 but still that might be a stretch.

AMD is providing competition for Intel and Nvidia.

Intel: 208 B
Nvidia: 92.78 B

So they are a scrappy company successfully competing with companies 7 times and 3 times their business size and doing it successfully. (More so in the CPU space than the Graphics card space.)

I cheer AMD on and hope they manage to take the market dominance from Intel or at least actually gain parity with them. I'd love to see them come out ahead against Nvidia as well but I don't see that realistically happening. Nvidia is still small enough as a company in the technology space to have agility. Intel I think is floundering a bit in the technology spectrum because they have become too comfortable and now trying to change direction is like trying to steer the titanic.

Of course part of that is they are in so many market segments, from storage with SSD/NVME drives, to Network cards, to chipset manufacturing and licensing. They can literally afford to loose the CPU war with AMD as long as they can maintain their other business segments.

Uhhh... I went too far afield here and and am wrapping it up with this.

I have every confidence that Lisa Su can lead AMD. I think she can transform it into a powerhouse company rivaling the likes of Apple. They just need a break out product to do it that appeals to NON savvy consumers as much as the savvy ones. :)

IF amd were to invent a NEW way to use a portable device and do it VERY well at an amazing price point say partnered with someone like Samsung. They could be a 400 Billion dollar company very quickly.

BTW Samsung Market Cap: 362B... AND they know how to be agile.

Become a Patron!
Back