AMD Could Be Outsourcing Its X670 Chipset, Due Out in 2020, to ASMedia

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
A notable aspect of the X570 chipset is that it was built in-house, but AMD is reportedly switching back to a third party for the next iteration. According to a MyDrivers article (the same one that alluded to a Ryzen 4000 launch in late 2020), AMD will be outsourcing the X670 chipset to Xiang Shuo Technology, otherwise known as ASMedia. Apparently, the X570 chipset was only built in-house because ASMedia wasn't prepared to incorporate PCIe 4.0 into its motherboards at the time.

The next-gen X670 platform might use PCIe 4.0 on both general purpose lanes and the chipset bus. Other changes include upgrades to the USB 3.2, SATA, and M.2 interfaces, and a reduction of the chipset’s TDP. If the TDP is indeed reduced, there would be no need for active cooling the motherboard, which would also reduce the manufacturing costs.

If ASMedia produces it, the chipset may be far more conventional than X570 is as that's based on the I/O die of the Ryzen 3000 series CPU's.

My only worry about this is the quality of the chipset overall. From what I can see, AMD has done a good job of putting out good chipsets for a while now. I'm not particularly looking forward to some of the messes we had back in the day regarding VIA, SIS and ALi.

One of Intel's strengths which AMD took a long time to copy was properly made and updated in-house chipsets and this had a part in holding back AMD regarding whole platform issues years ago.

Become a Patron!
Back