AMD Details Precision Boost Overdrive Improvements for Ryzen 3000

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD's automatic overclocking feature is back and better than ever. In a new video, Senior Technical Marketing Manager Robert Hallock explains how Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) has been improved for third-generation Ryzen processors, allowing higher single-core (up to 200 MHz) and all-core clocks.

The feature debuted with AMD's 2nd-generation Threadripper processors and intelligently increases performance by gauging power, current, voltage, temperature, and similar factors. Hallock says that the latest update to PBO will let users exceed official boost clocks.

While the X570 platform was specifically mentioned, any board with a proper Ryzen 3000 BIOS should have the feature.

I forget, is PBO a desktop application like Ryzen Master, or is it applied via the BIOS?

Since I dual boot, spending most of my time in Linux, but booting up windows for my gaming needs, I wonder what approach I should take for overclocking.

I could see a max all core overclock in bios being the best for my productivity needs in Linux, but then I can also see a PBO type overclock maximizing my lightly threaded gaming loads.

If PBO is a desktop app, if you do a manual overclock in BIOS, does PBO override it when launched from the desktop? If that is the case I could do a BIOS all core overclock that will work when I boot up linux, and then have a desktop app override BIOS settings when Windows boots up...

I am rather ignorant here as my current system is a 2011 x79 3930k. Everything is done in BIOS. I haven't figured out the new ways of overclocking yet.

Now this is what I'm hoping to see gone over in detail on a review.

PBO was a BIOS feature - basically the same Turbo (err... Precision Boost/FXR), but can ignore factory settings for TDP and currents. Although I've seen reports that you have to enable it in the BIOS and that just lets you turn it on via software. I don't have a Zen to confirm.

If I'm not mistaken, it was with PBO on TR2 that Kyle found actually worked as good if not better than a manual all-core overclock.

Last edited:
I like it! I'm freaking ready. 4.4+ PBO2 on my 2600X is nice, but I want moar hertz!

Now this is what I'm hoping to see gone over in detail on a review.

PBO was a BIOS feature - basically the same Turbo (err... Precision Boost/FXR), but can ignore factory settings for TDP and currents. Although I've seen reports that you have to enable it in the BIOS and that just lets you turn it on via software. I don't have a Zen to confirm.

If I'm not mistaken, it was with PBO on TR2 that Kyle found actually worked as good if not better than a manual all-core overclock.

I actually covered this topic in the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X review in the overclocking section. You enable the AMD Overclocking feature in the UEFI BIOS and then set the offset value in the BIOS. Then you can set up PBO in BIOS or Ryzen Master and your set.

I actually covered this topic in the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X review in the overclocking section. You enable the AMD Overclocking feature in the UEFI BIOS and then set the offset value in the BIOS. Then you can set up PBO in BIOS or Ryzen Master and your set.

You are truly doing God's work.

Become a Patron!
Back