AMD GPU Availability And Scalping

Elf_Boy

Quasi-regular
/Soap_Box On

Good lord, I know it isn't just me being frustrated and there are a whole lot of reasons, I sure hope the scalpers get their karmic retribution.

I just saw an 6800 xt on amazon for $1799 - and don't doubt it will sell.

Any secret tricks or tips for a fellow forum user on how to get one of these in stock near MSPR?

Why isn't scalping illegal?

Anyhow I am done ranting, for now.... I am guessing at least 2 more months before I can find a gpu available.

/Soap_Box Off

I am guessing at least 2 more months before I can find a gpu available.

I said that in mid September, and then again in early November, and yet here we are, almost January.

At this point, I've pretty much went ahead and wrote off all of 2021 as well. I'm firmly in Camp Auer - don't camp the stores, just game on. Still frustrating, and I do have the urge to sit there and click through all the popular site inventories just to see... but I figure once things finally settle down, first off I'll hear about it because everyone will be talking about it, and second, I won't be stressing myself out dealing with retarded Store Queue systems that don't work, racing to check out before the site takes something out of my cart, watching ecommerce stores crash left and right... and maybe even catch something at or below MSRP for a change.

Yall see they found a shipping containing in South Korea with 500,000 Nvidia 30 series cards in it?

How many do you think will make it to retail?

I said that in mid September, and then again in early November, and yet here we are, almost January.

At this point, I've pretty much went ahead and wrote off all of 2021 as well. I'm firmly in Camp Auer - don't camp the stores, just game on. Still frustrating, and I do have the urge to sit there and click through all the popular site inventories just to see... but I figure once things finally settle down, first off I'll hear about it because everyone will be talking about it, and second, I won't be stressing myself out dealing with retarded Store Queue systems that don't work, racing to check out before the site takes something out of my cart, watching ecommerce stores crash left and right... and maybe even catch something at or below MSRP for a change.

You just need to get into one of the discord servers and get the alerts. I've known people who have successfully bought their cards that way. Well, 30 series anyway. I don't know anyone who really wants the AMD options.

I'm riding out this 1080Ti till it goes the way of VESA Local Bus.....

Feel lucky man, heck, them 1080Ti's are still selling for around $300!!!

Sh!t, I'm still running on 900 series cards. :sneaky:

Figured I'd update once the 3xxx series cards came out, but the prices are insane.

You just need to get into one of the discord servers and get the alerts. I've known people who have successfully bought their cards that way. Well, 30 series anyway. I don't know anyone who really wants the AMD options.
Nah, that may be more accurate than any of the various product tracker sites, but it isn’t a cure for this situation - just a bandaid. And I would still need to race the checkout.

I’ve determined the stress and hassle simply is not worth what amounts to a luxury item for me. When I can pick one up off a shelf at my leisure I will reconsider, until then, as Auer says, I will continue to game on with what has served me well for a few years now.

I do find it kind of cool that I could get close to $500 for my almost 4 year old GPU.

I mean. It still plays everything at acceptable levels. Going to ride this horse a while longer.

I do find it kind of cool that I could get close to $500 for my almost 4 year old GPU.

I mean. It still plays everything at acceptable levels. Going to ride this horse a while longer.

The real “fine wine” effect

Feel lucky man, heck, them 1080Ti's are still selling for around $300!!!

Sh!t, I'm still running on 900 series cards. :sneaky:

Figured I'd update once the 3xxx series cards came out, but the prices are insane.
Where are you seeing 1080Ti's for $300?? I was at Microcenter on Saturday (tried to get one of 2 3070's they had in stock, to no avail) and after that all they had was a 2080 Super that was fitted with a water block, an AMD 5700 XT fitted with a water block, and a 1080Ti (just the card, no box even). The 1080Ti was going for $500.

I was able to talk the sales guy down on the 2080 Super down to $500 (it was an open box priced at $540), bought that and spent $75 on a Accelero Xtreme IV - ARCTIC GmbH. Assembly of the cooler wasn't as bad as I was expecting, and infact it's performance (cooling-wise) is rather nice! Card shows idle GPU temps in the 28-32C range. Haven't pushed the card to 100% to see what it'll show temp-wise, as I spent the majority of this weekend rebuilding 3 PCs I wasn't expecting to rebuild. You know the New Year starts off right when the Wife's computer, my Son's computer, AND my parent's computer all **** the bed at the same time!

So for $575 I got a 2080 Super that I can now resell for over $1000 if I wanted to be a prick.

Was watching a twitch last night and managed to get a 6800xt. Now I can wait a generation or two.

It's the sapphire nitro + 6800xt from Newegg. Tax and shipping right at 908 dollars.

Where are you seeing 1080Ti's for $300?? I was at Microcenter on Saturday (tried to get one of 2 3070's they had in stock, to no avail) and after that all they had was a 2080 Super that was fitted with a water block, an AMD 5700 XT fitted with a water block, and a 1080Ti (just the card, no box even). The 1080Ti was going for $500.

I should have been more specific. I was referring to used 1080's and 1080Ti's

I feel I got a good deal on my 2080 Super. I feel I can finally make the switch to 4k now. For the games I play, the 2080 Super should be able to handle it with ease..

Has AMD made any recent drops of cards in the last week or two? I've seen nothing from anyone with AMD cards. What is going on?

Become a Patron!
Back