AMD Is Slaughtering Intel in CPU Sales at German Retailer Mindfactory

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD is doing remarkably well at Mindfactory, one of Germany's most popular internet retailers. A redditor has compiled the shop's sales data over the last five years into a chart, which provides a pretty shocking picture at how much better Ryzen is selling over Intel chips.

Just a few years ago, Intel fueled 75% of sales, with ~12,000 CPUs sold compared to AMD's paltry ~4,000. The tide began changing with the introduction of Ryzen, and now, thanks in large part to its third generation, AMD appears to have two-thirds of the market.

Despite being a modest refresh of Zen, Pinnacle Ridge propelled AMD into first place. Despite Coffee Lake's impressive performance, it took almost no time at all for AMD to soar into first place in sales. Near the end of 2018, AMD had two-thirds of the market despite the Coffee Lake refresh, spearheaded by the eight-core Core i9-9900K having launched around this time.

Finally people are using there brains. Overall performance is better than 5% FPS!

A lot of this will be down to Intels security being swiss cheese.
I wont entertain buying or recommending Intel for that reason alone.
Even if Intel performance were 30% higher, the current designs get a flat no.

I think AMD is the better buy right now, but allow me to play Devil's advocate. You have to keep in mind, this is one retailer. The real money is in OEM sales. Intel is likely still selling far more CPU's than AMD is.

Finally people are using there brains. Overall performance is better than 5% FPS!

Not if all you do is play games. More than that, the AMD systems can be a bigger pain in the *** to setup and get going. Even getting an OS installed on an AMD system can sometimes be a challenge.

A lot of this will be down to Intels security being swiss cheese.
I wont entertain buying or recommending Intel for that reason alone.
Even if Intel performance were 30% higher, the current designs get a flat no.

Except, the average public doesn't know anything about that. That's not a massive issue for home PC's that just get used for gaming. It's a much bigger concern for businesses, but for the home user its not a huge deal.

Except, the average public doesn't know anything about that. That's not a massive issue for home PC's that just get used for gaming. It's a much bigger concern for businesses, but for the home user its not a huge deal.
Losing recommendation counts for a lot.
I'm not claiming it is the major part but easily enough to take notice.
There are good alternatives to recommend so it is for sure happening.

When Joe user turns to their friend in IT to ask about getting a new computer and they are steered to AMD over Intel because of Security Issues, then Joe user is going to be buying AMD.

When Joe user turns to their friend in IT to ask about getting a new computer and they are steered to AMD over Intel because of Security Issues, then Joe user is going to be buying AMD.

You'd be surprised just how ignorant about hardware people in IT generally are. Purchasing decisions in large corporations aren't made by the people who have the most understanding of how these things work either. It's normally application requirements and contract deals with OEMs that determine final system configurations.

I've tried talking hardware with lots of people in the IT industry over the years. I find that only about 1 in 7 keeps up with hardware in any way. The guys who deal with actual hardware repairs are swap monkeys from third party vendors allot of times. They know even less about hardware than the upper IT guys do. So you won't find answers there either.

Oh good lord I pity those IT environments then. Where I work I'm a decision maker on the hardware we use. THE ONLY reason we have new Intel based servers going in today instead of Rome or EPYC is because we haven't been able to test our software on the new systems yet. And Dell is working on a loaner program that doesn't require insane POC paperwork to do and can be done without a purchase order... at my request.

I may have even requested a couple of those new insane Drives from Samsung for it too... you know... to test IO.

Become a Patron!
Back