AMD Launches A620M AM5 Motherboards for PC Builders on a Budget

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
It's getting even cheaper to upgrade to a shiny AM5 system. AMD officially launched its budget-oriented A620 chipset for Ryzen 7000 Series processors today, and with it comes the first motherboard options from the usual manufacturers, including MSI, ASUS, BIOSTAR, ASRock, and GIGABYTE. GIGABYTE's A620M GAMING X AX and A620M GAMING X motherboards are available beginning today, according to a press release that the leading manufacturer of motherboards, graphics cards, and other hardware solutions has shared, while ASRock's options appear to comprise four models in the form of the A620M Pro RS, A620M Pro RS WiFi, A620M-HDV/M.2, and A620M-HDV/M.2+. Some of the major differences between the B650 and A620 chipsets are the latter's lack of PCIe Gen 5.0 support and omission of USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 ports, as hinted by a comparison table that chi11eddog shared last month.

See full article...

the pcie Gen 5 I'm meh on but if I'm going to the new platform I would want the USB 3.2. Especially if I'm running that platform for an extended period of time.

the pcie Gen 5 I'm meh on but if I'm going to the new platform I would want the USB 3.2. Especially if I'm running that platform for an extended period of time.
If you are on a budget you probably don't have anything that can use 3.2. Sure, it's nice, but what is going to take advantage of 3.2 that you are going to use on a budget PC anyway? An external hard drive, maybe, and it's not like you'd be running games off it, it would just make backups a bit faster (which you could automate to occur in the middle of the night anyway). External GPU enclosure? Not on a budget... SAN array? Not on a budget... 8K camcorder footage? Not on a budget...

Maybe my imagination is just lacking - but the only thing I use on my PC that needs any speed at all is a external DVD drive, and that's limited by the drive, not the USB interface. Mouse, Keyboard - they don't care if it's USB 3.2 or USB 1. Even a Gigabit LAN adapter can barely saturate a USB 2 connection.

And in the future, if you did happen to need it, you can always drop in a PCI card - but it'll probably be time to upgrade again once you get there.

Gotta cut something out in order to make the budget, so I guess I'm just saying I think what they did was reasonable rather than limiting RAM speeds or density something.

Become a Patron!
Back