AMD Launches Mobile Ryzen 4000, Radeon RX 5600 and Threadripper 3990X at CES

New laptop CPUs make sense, it was one year ago exactly the Zen+ 3000 series laptop APUs were announced, so they are keeping a good schedule releasing Zen2 4000 series laptop APUs. Though, I still don't like the naming convention, sounds like they are one generation ahead of desktop, when in reality they are behind.

Radeon RX 5600 XT was expected. Pricing and availability, was not, so it's nice to have that confirmation.

No mention of Zen3 yet, or a "5900 XT" like some people were expecting.

I bet we'll hear about Zen3 in a few months though, or in spring.

That shift tech looks interesting, I think its been a little overlooked.
(Edit) I was confused intially, what is shared is the power envelope, I thought it was shifting processing tasks somehow. Still a nice feature.

These mobile APU are actually way better than I would have guessed.
I still think a low hanging fruit is hbm2 in the same package as the apu, but obviously this is too expensive... I bet money though they have this in a lab somewhere, its just that it might not be viable because of price, and volume of hbm2.

Also a little overlooked, I think its the fact that AMD is getting their driver and software chops together, steadily improving... This is nearly as important as the hardware if we are honest.. hardware is nothing with **** drivers and software to take advantage of capabilities.

Last edited:
New laptop CPUs make sense, it was one year ago exactly the Zen+ 3000 series laptop APUs were announced, so they are keeping a good schedule releasing Zen2 4000 series laptop APUs. Though, I still don't like the naming convention, sounds like they are one generation ahead of desktop, when in reality they are behind.

Radeon RX 5600 XT was expected. Pricing and availability, was not, so it's nice to have that confirmation.

No mention of Zen3 yet, or a "5900 XT" like some people were expecting.

I bet we'll hear about Zen3 in a few months though, or in spring.
Yep, no mention of big navi or zen 3.. I wanted some of that too... but considering how much of a big deal this mobile stuff looks to be, I think it's understandable.

It's too bad it's still Vega and not Navi but it's very good news for their laptop endeavors. Hopefully it's a drop in replacement and maybe the 15" surface can get updated sooner than later.

Not exactly SRO in that conference room.
Not enough free stuff I guess.

It's too bad it's still Vega and not Navi but it's very good news for their laptop endeavors. Hopefully it's a drop in replacement and maybe the 15" surface can get updated sooner than later.

That was my question, are the 8 "Radeon Cores" just Vega 8, or have they gone Navi on 4000 series APUs. I'm not sure.

Its a reworked vega apparently. Reworked for 7nm , and clocks high.

Reading more on the laptop cpu, its looking like a potential bloodbath for Intel... Ah poor multibillion dollar Intel... All the king's horses and all the king's men....

Become a Patron!
Back