AMD Lead Engineer Sam Naffziger Explains Advantages of RDNA3 Chiplet Design

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Mr. Naffziger explains that by using chiplet designs for CPUs and GPUs manufacturing costs are significantly reduced but they also allow an easier path for product refreshes, or new architecures, along with improved yields in regards to wafer defects.

See full article...

I mean it kinda makes perfect sense. Look we made a new x controller or efficiency upgrade in our cpu or whatever. Now they just swap that component and connect it with traces to test. Allows for faster iteration and more advancement. Paid for by a minor hit to interconnect efficiency.

I mean it kinda makes perfect sense. Look we made a new x controller or efficiency upgrade in our cpu or whatever. Now they just swap that component and connect it with traces to test. Allows for faster iteration and more advancement. Paid for by a minor hit to interconnect efficiency.
Pretty much. It reminds me of the days in auto-manufacturing when you had x number of engines that could be matted to x number of transmissions which provided a huge number of options and cost savings. I'm not saying it doesn't still happen but I haven't heard a whole about it in the last decade versus what I saw from the 70s-90s.

Pretty much. It reminds me of the days in auto-manufacturing when you had x number of engines that could be matted to x number of transmissions which provided a huge number of options and cost savings. I'm not saying it doesn't still happen but I haven't heard a whole about it in the last decade versus what I saw from the 70s-90s.
That's actually pretty standard for everyone in auto manufacturing these days. Even across brands.

Become a Patron!
Back