AMD Preparing Low-Cost Ryzen 5 3500X for Gamers on a Budget

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD's got another Ryzen up its sleeve. A new Ryzen 5 variant, the 3500X, has appeared on Chinese retailer JD.com.

The 3500's more advanced sibling is a six-core, six-thread chip with a 3.6 GHz base clock, 4.1 GHz boost clock, and 32 MB of L3 cache. TDP is 65 W.

JD.com's slides suggest the Ryzen 5 3500X will go up directly against Intel's Core i5-9400F. They are similar in terms of core/thread count, boost clock, and TDP, but AMD's solution has a better base clock and substantially larger L3 cache.

The Ryzen 5 3500X's success will depend hugely on how AMD prices the six-core chip. Intel's Recommended Customer Price (RCP) for the Core i5-9400F is $182. However, we can usually find it on sale for $139.99. The price for the Ryzen 5 3500X on JD.com is 1,099 yuan, which converts to $155.

Nice, will able to build some good low cost boxes. Interested in benchmarks on these.

I'd love to see some CPU manufacturer make a gaming non hyperthreaded CPU with feewer cores that is actally FASTER than the big multi core CPU's so it is actually better for gaming. Charge a bit of a premium for it or whatever but don't make a 6 core lets call it 4.7 ghz boost clock CPU cost more than a 12 core 4.3ghz boost clock cpu.

I'd love to see some CPU manufacturer make a gaming non hyperthreaded CPU with feewer cores that is actally FASTER than the big multi core CPU's so it is actually better for gaming. Charge a bit of a premium for it or whatever but don't make a 6 core lets call it 4.7 ghz boost clock CPU cost more than a 12 core 4.3ghz boost clock cpu.

Intel did this with it's Core i5 9600K and Core i7 9700K CPU's. The 9700K in particular has got only eight cores without Hyperthreading and is sometimes faster than the Core i9 9900K in gaming.

If I didn't already build my back up PC with a 9400F I might have looked at this.

Become a Patron!
Back