AMD Preps Three New Chipsets for Third-Gen Threadripper

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Certification listings over at USB-IF have revealed that AMD is readying more than one chipset for its upcoming Zen 2-based Threadripper CPUs. These are the TRX40, TRX80, and WRX80.

The TRX chipsets are presumably geared toward gamers and enthusiasts, while the WRX targets workstation users seeking alternatives to processors such as the Xeon W. VideoCardz has already outed two of ASUS's models, the Prime TRX40-Pro and ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming.

The gamer/enthusiast-targeted processor line could feature a monolithic 4-channel DDR4 memory interface, and 64 PCI-Express gen 4.0 lanes from the processor socket, and additional lanes from the chipset; while the workstation-targeted processor line could essentially be EPYCs, with a wider memory bus width and more platform PCIe lanes; while retaining drop-in backwards-compatibility with AMD X399 (at the cost of physically narrower memory and PCIe I/O).

I find this interesting. I wonder what the base differences between TRX40 and TRX80 are really. That would seem to be our focus.

Yeah, this could get very interesting.

I kind of hope TRX80 is a dual socket design. Mmmm sweet sweet threads.

Become a Patron!
Back