AMD Radeon 780M RDNA 3 iGPU in the New AOKZOE A1 Pro Handheld Gaming Console Competes Favorably with RTX 2050 and GTX 1650 Ti

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
AOKZOE has unveiled its next flagship gaming handheld which features a powerful AMD Radeon 780M iGPU with 12 compute units and a clock frequency of 2700 MHz. The AOKZOE A1PRO is powered by an AMD Ryzen 7 7840U 8-core/16-thread processor built on the 4nm process that can boost up to 5.1 GHz (3.3 GHz base) and has a combined cache of 24 MB (L2/8 MB, L3/16 MB). AOKZOE has published slides showing the new iGPU competing favorably with a few of NVIDIA's older budget desktop graphics cards. The AMD 780M RDNA 3 was seen trading blows with an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2050 where it bested in Time Spy, but narrowly lost in Fire Strike. It was bested by the GeForce GTX 1650 Ti, but not by much.

The AMD 780M RDNA 3 is only icing on the cake though as the AMD Ryzen 7 7840U has plenty to show off as well. With a TDP of 28 Watts the mobile processor is seen performing well against an Intel i7-12700H and its own AMD predecessors. This is the same processor that AMD recently posted its own internal benchmarks showing it outperforming an Apple M2 and Intel Core i7-1360P.

The AOKZOE A1 Pro is currently available on Indiegogo with the base model, 32 GB memory, and 512 GB storage going for $799. For $50 more the storage can be upgraded to 1 TB. The 64 GB / 2 TB model is listed for $1,159.

See full article...

What is a Pro handheld gaming segment. Are there a group of 'pro handheld' gamers I've never heard of?

Can someone please tell me where I can find the Pro handheld gaming competitions?

Sounds like an effort to create a market that doesn't exist. Good for them if it works.

Want to garner some interest in handheld gaming, build in tools for connecting it to your streaming PC. Hard wired for ingestion into something like OBS where I can do a web cam overlay with the talent's sound blended in. THEN we're talking about a pro version of a handheld.

Because the Steam Deck didn't already have ****ty enough battery life at 15W TDP...

One of these days people will figure out "mobile" isn't all about having the most performance.

Im just suprised how magically prices are dropping in relative terms. Cellphones have been going up to absurd levels, and handhelds like this started tracking those. The announced prices seem to be breaking the trend of up up and away... Hopefully this spreads.

Im just suprised how magically prices are dropping in relative terms.
Hmm. The base price for this unit is roughly double what the base price of a Steam Deck is, and more than any mainstream console device.

Not sure I see how prices are dropping.

On the plus side in regard to charge time they state that if you use a 100W charger it only takes 90 minutes for a full charge.

Hmm. The base price for this unit is roughly double what the base price of a Steam Deck is, and more than any mainstream console device.

Not sure I see how prices are dropping.
True in a way, but I was thinking specs are significantly higher, which in turn i would have expected higher than announced prices judging by how things have been trending. I wouldn't really consider any of these random handhelds just yet. I got my steam deck mostly in trusting steam will keep their muscle behind it. No guarantees obviously, but I'd say better chances.

An interesting twist with one of these is that installing Windows 10/11 on them should be pretty straightforward. I might be remembering the wrong company but I seem to remember that this one puts their own OS/skin on most (but not all) of their handhelds. Meanwhile, this processor is actually designed with Windows in mind and one could theoretically do their own installation and bypass the manufacturers. I hear such tricks on a Steamdeck are a bit more complicated. I think the only real catch would be driver installations and that could be a major issue.

An interesting twist with one of these is that installing Windows 10/11 on them should be pretty straightforward. I might be remembering the wrong company but I seem to remember that this one puts their own OS/skin on most (but not all) of their handhelds. Meanwhile, this processor is actually designed with Windows in mind and one could theoretically do their own installation and bypass the manufacturers. I hear such tricks on a Steamdeck are a bit more complicated. I think the only real catch would be driver installations and that could be a major issue.
You can install windows in the deck, doesn't seem too hard.. not that I would ever bother. I got the deck even though I dont have a huge steam library (its actually miniscule). If I did It have a huge one it would make even more sense.
You can pull your GOG and Epic libraries too. There is a an app for that . I haven't used it nearly enough to say how much compatibility is there but I played doom 1 on gog and started extra doom wads and opened a few other games but thats it (it is doom enhanced or whatver is called you just work the menu inside the game and can pull some wad sets)
The deck as i understand it is completely open ( as far as linux goes) all you have to do is switch to desktop mode, install whatever and make it show in console mode if you want. Pretty neat.

Become a Patron!
Back