AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX May Overheat Because of Defective Vapor Chamber, It’s Claimed

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Some AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX owners have claimed that their graphics cards are getting way too hot, and the reason for that may be a defective vapor chamber, according to Roman "der8auer" Hartung, a popular overclocker who has tested red team's latest flagship GPU in various orientations, including developing a custom stand, and determined that there appears to be some kind of design flaw with the $899 RNDA 3 product.

See full article...

Is AMD responsible for the vapor chamber?

I mean, they do make the reference design, do they still make their own cards? Seems like it would be on the AIBs who are implementing a cooling solution... with the exception of AMD branded cards.

I mean, they do make the reference design, do they still make their own cards? Seems like it would be on the AIBs who are implementing a cooling solution... with the exception of AMD branded cards.
A category I've become aware of as of this latest release is 'Made By AMD' cards that are then sold by their partners, thus 'MBA' cards. Yes, this is AMDs cooler design, sold to their partners, unfortunately.

So, the issue is either two-fold I believe: 1.) An inherent design issue, that needs a revision 2.) Just a batch of defective chambers made in manufacturing, and not an inherent design flaw.

Only the manufacturer and AMD knows or hopefully are investigating.

The reference cards are sub-contracted to manufacturers in China, including AIB reference cards.

Last I checked Zotac (PC Partner) was a major supplier for AMD GPUs

Today Igor weighs in by sharing a note from a board partner. It is reported that the undisclosed OEM suspects at least one faulty batch of Radeon 7900 series might have left the factory. The possible issue being described is insufficient coolant added to the vapor chamber.

AMD-RADEON-7900-IGOR-1-1200x491.png

Possible explanation of Radeon 7900 thermal problem, Source: Igor’sLAB

Igor does not want to spoil the der8auer’s new findings, so what is important is that the YouTuber is to share a new video tomorrow which should provide us more information.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-par...adeon-7900-gpus-is-affected-by-thermal-issues

Uh-huh!

"But... but... but... these temps are 'normal' - by design thermals... CPUs 90°-ish and GPUs 100°-ish!" 😏

Sorry, Su... but, uhm... I know it's frightening and all, especially knowing about your broken earnings numbers at your last quarter reports but all your MBA's cards needs a massive recall... NOW! 👎

Unlike 12VHPWR, IMO, is an example of a poor design.
I agree with you about the bad design end of the connector, but they considered that a "bad batch" of cables at the beginning as well until they realized it was something different. So in other words I am skeptical on this whole AMD fiasco just like everyone was on the Nvidia issue until they get to the bottom of things. This is actually going to be a big recall unlike Nvidia's issue though.

I agree with you about the bad design end of the connector, but they considered that a "bad batch" of cables at the beginning as well until they realized it was something different. So in other words I am skeptical on this whole AMD fiasco just like everyone was on the Nvidia issue until they get to the bottom of things. This is actually going to be a big recall unlike Nvidia's issue though.
Nvidia stuck it's head in the sand on its connector issue. Still a design flaw in my mind. Not that I wouldn't get the card if the money were ample.

Nvidia stuck it's head in the sand on its connector issue. Still a design flaw in my mind. Not that I wouldn't get the card if the money were ample.
Given how long it took to replicate, and that the issue is rooted in user error - you didn't see review houses having the same issue until one happened upon the actual problem - I can see Nvidia remaining silent. Anything they said would have created potential liability where there should be none.

I see it as more of a split between bad design and end user error, but more on the end user error. Not too much to ask to make sure your cable is plugged into you $1,600 video card securely. Could it have been a better design? Yes, but let's not let everyone off the hook that easily. I'll be curious how AMD handles this issue and how many people carry the angry mob torches against them like they did Nvidia.

I wonder if this is the reason XTX cards have been delisted on certain shops around here.
The timing is bad for AMD. Usually there is a break for chinese new year. So they stock ahead in preparation. Depends on how many batches are defective, they may not have sufficient replacement cards at the present

The timing is bad for AMD. Usually there is a break for chinese new year. So they stock ahead in preparation. Depends on how many batches are defective, they may not have sufficient replacement cards at the present
That assumes that almost all stock was blown through right at the beginning of the release. With the regular releases it seems they had a decent bit of stock but putting it out a batch at a time. If that's the case, replacements shouldn't be an issue but it will hurt the amount of new stock released for a while.

I think AMD blew through the majority of their stock at release and are just trickling out what is left. I have yet to see an AIB partner card come back in stock since release. It's been almost a month and none of the sites have seen anything from XFX, Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte etc come back in stock. At least according to the stock drop discord's I'm a part of. People wanting an AIB card have been waiting with their hands up like WTF, where are the cards? Which leads to me to believe one of two things. Those partners are not being supplied with die packages, or they are not shipping units to the U.S. and Europe so they can maximize early profits by flooding the Asian market first. Why spend money shipping all over the world when you can sell everything you have in their domestic markets.

All these "reviewers" seem to have access to AMD and partners for discussions, but no one wants to ask the all important question. WHERE ARE THE CARDS?

Become a Patron!
Back