AMD Reports Q1 2023 Financial Results: Ryzen Chip Revenue Down 65% YoY

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD has published its financial results for the previous quarter, and they seem to lean more toward bad than good. A 32-page slide deck illustrates how AMD faced a decline in a number of segments, including client (i.e., Ryzen CPUs), where net revenue and operating income was down 65% and 125%, respectively, versus Q1 2022. Data Center and Gaming are down, too, with Embedded being the only segment to show gains YoY. AMD Chair and CEO Dr. Lisa Su doesn't seem fazed by the results.

See full article...

Ouchies. Inflation and all that jazz probably.

Key point to note:

Gaming is still profitable for AMD. They are not selling at a loss at CURRENT prices.

So maybe they might launch RDNA 3 at "affordable" price points & yet still make a profit

The high prices of a Gen5 upgrade are one of the reasons I've held off so far. I am seeing prices drop but it's still a ouch moment when pricing all the needed parts from scratch.

If I wanted to go to the newest gen. My performance boost wouldn't be much for gaming. A few frames here and there, but my cost out of pocket is at least 1200 bucks just for motherboard, ram and CPU and THAT's if I go cheap.

If I wanted to go to the newest gen. My performance boost wouldn't be much for gaming. A few frames here and there, but my cost out of pocket is at least 1200 bucks just for motherboard, ram and CPU and THAT's if I go cheap.
That's why I didn't upgrade to the Z790 and 13900K. It wouldn't have gained me much over my 12900K/ASUS ROG Z690 Extreme setup and would have cost me the better part of $2,000. I like having the latest and greatest stuff but sometimes the price/performance of the upgrade just isn't worth it.

Price / Performance has left the chat for the enthusiast PC space. Both in GPU and CPU. There is no such thing as a budget build nowadays.
Of course people are not upgrading when a higher end CPU+MB+RAM costs 3x as much as in 2010, that's after adjusting for inflation.

That's why I didn't upgrade to the Z790 and 13900K. It wouldn't have gained me much over my 12900K/ASUS ROG Z690 Extreme setup and would have cost me the better part of $2,000. I like having the latest and greatest stuff but sometimes the price/performance of the upgrade just isn't worth it.
That's why I just kept the Z690 motherboard and upgraded to the 13900K. I couldn't justify the Z790 upgrade since it wasn't really gaining me any performance at all.

That's why I just kept the Z690 motherboard and upgraded to the 13900K. I couldn't justify the Z790 upgrade since it wasn't really gaining me any performance at all.
Z790 will clock memory higher. Aside from that it's not really any different.

Become a Patron!
Back