AMD Ryzen 8000 Series Processors Coming in 2024 with Zen 5 Cores and Navi 3.5 Graphics

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD has shared a new socket roadmap that can confirm its first Ryzen 8000 Series processors are on schedule for release in 2024. According to the slide spotted by @harukaze5719, these next-generation processors will couple Zen 5 cores with Navi 3.5, which is presumably an update to the current RDNA 3 graphics architecture. The slide also seems to confirm that new Ryzen 7000 Series processors with RDNA 3 iGPUs will be released this year. (Current models feature RDNA 2 graphics.)

See full article...

I am interested in the 8000 series, but I couldn't give a rats *** about any iGPU. They will never be used in my systems. it's a waste of money and I/O as far as I am concerned.

AMD is keeping the same socket, so it is unlikely we will be getting any more PCIe lanes, which is the biggest thing I always hope for for any modern CPU launch, but maybe - just maybe - a new batch of chipsets will emerge allowing me more options on the I/O front off the chipset?

I have two considerations when shopping for a motherboard:

1.) I want to be able to have at least 16x-8x at the same time. Not this bullshit where you have 3 full length PCIe slots and they only work in 16x-0x-4x or 8x-8x-4x. The generation on the second slot matters less to me. I want the primary slot to be 16x Gen5, but I'd be happy if the second slot were 8x Gen3, as long as it doesn't rob the first slot of lanes when I use it.

2.) It can't have any performance reduction compared to other top of the line consumer CPU's.

Both Intel and AMD's more professional solutions right now (Sapphire Rapids Workstation launched several months ago, and Threadripper launched - well - today) are no longer HEDT. HEDT was the no compromises philosophy. The x58, x79, x99 and x299's for the world. They were every bit as fast as a top of the line consumer CPU, but just added some professional features, like more PCIe lanes, more RAM channels, etc. My i7-3930k overclocked to 4.8Ghz and in doing so kicked everything else's *** on the market for years, while giving me quad channel RAM and 40 PCIe lanes.

Now you can get these lanes, but only if you buy Sapphire Rapids WS or Threadripper, which are lower clocked than their desktop counterparts, and use registered RAM (since it is no longer socket compatilbe with non-registered with the introduction of DDR5) which absolutely kills performance.

I want a 14900ks or 7800x3D or 7950x3D with fast low latency unbuffered RAM, but with 35-40 PCIe lanes and (maybe) quad channel RAM.

And since I won't be getting that, at least for some time since both Intel and AMD are married to their current sockets without seemingly any intent of adding more pins for more PCIe lanes, at least I hope that chipsets will be added that will allow me to use more expansion.

With PCIe Gen5, the bandwidth is there. There is no shortage of bandwidth. I just need it spread out over more lanes. PCIe switching (wither in the chipset or separately) can help here. I'm probably going to be let down on this front, but I am hoping something appears in the 8000 series chipsets that allows for this.

They will never be used in my systems. it's a waste of money and I/O as far as I am concerned.
That's what I said about Zen 4 when they added the iGPUs to Ryzens for that generation. Waste of die space. Ryzens were fine before without them. If someone wants a Ryzen with an included GPU, they can go get an APU. No need to throw that sh1t on the mainline Ryzens.

Recently a friend built his parents Zen 4 B650 machines (way overpowered for their needs, but Micro Center bundle deals worked out). He re-used the old GeForce 9800 GTs he had in their previous PCs. I said to him "why did you even bother putting those 9800 GTs in there? You know Zen 4s have iGPUs right?" But nope, he didn't know.

I built a friend a system a few years ago, B650 Zen 2, and he didn't have any need for real graphics so I was gonna grab an APU. The one we had been waiting for at the time never came to the consumer market, so instead I just grabbed a regular Zen 2 and threw a cheap little GeForce GT 1030 in there (which is about the size of an SNES controller). iGPUs aren't strictly necessary, you can always just grab a cheap little video card, but I guess iGPUs do save on cost. For my own personal machines though, yeah iGPU is something that doesn't exist to me. I think at least for the top few performance models CPU manufacturers shouldn't bother putting iGPUs in 'em.

Become a Patron!
Back