AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X, 3970X, and 3990X Launch Dates Leaked

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
VideoCardz has spilled the announcement and launch dates for AMD's next-generation Threadripper CPUs. These are the 3960X, 3970X, and 3990X, all of which will be unveiled on November 5th.

The embargo on sales and reviews for the first two processors will be lifted on November 19th, while the latter will launch January 2020. Clock speeds may not be revealed until after the announcement.

On November 5th AMD will also unveil TRX40 chipset and motherboard makers will have a green light to showcase their TRX40 motherboards. However, they will also not be available for sale until November 19th.

The documents we have currently do not list 3980X SKU and there is no mention of TRX80 motherboards. We are also not discussing core counts and clock speeds in this post, as this information is not available in the documents that we have as well.

Looking forward to this.

I am probably in the minority here, but I am not excited about the massive core counts.

I am interested in Threadripper mostly for the PCIe lanes.

Ideally I'd pick up the Threadripper with the least number of cores on launch, but the annoying thing is that they usually aren't clocked as high, and I care about per thread performance very much!

1571419685787.png

Reactions: _k_
All the Threadrippers I've tested aside from the 2990WX were capable of hitting the same 4.2GHz wall as the standard Ryzen 2000 series.

All the Threadrippers I've tested aside from the 2990WX were capable of hitting the same 4.2GHz wall as the standard Ryzen 2000 series.

Lets hope that keeps up for this gen!

I'm less concerned with all core clocks, but I'd like to be able to hit the same high (4.7Ghz) when lightly threaded as the 3950x when using PBO.

Lets hope that keeps up for this gen!

I'm less concerned with all core clocks, but I'd like to be able to hit the same high (4.7Ghz) when lightly threaded as the 3950x when using PBO.

I'm sure it will. I have no doubt that these will be able to hit 4.3GHz all core on some models without insane core counts. That's asking allot of a CPU that has 32c/64t or 64c/128t. The real question will be whether or not they'll be built like the dual CCD Ryzen 3000 series CPU's. That is, will they use a good chiplet for achieving higher single-core boost clocks and one ****let that can't clock worth a crap or will they all be quality CCD's?

To be useful on the desktop, these will have to clock better than their Epyc counterparts. That's a tall order with that kind of core density.

I'm sure it will. I have no doubt that these will be able to hit 4.3GHz all core on some models without insane core counts. That's asking allot of a CPU that has 32c/64t or 64c/128t. The real question will be whether or not they'll be built like the dual CCD Ryzen 3000 series CPU's. That is, will they use a good chiplet for achieving higher single-core boost clocks and one ****let that can't clock worth a crap or will they all be quality CCD's?

To be useful on the desktop, these will have to clock better than their Epyc counterparts. That's a tall order with that kind of core density.

I love the term "****let"

So, they are set to be unveiled tomorrow.

Only event in AMD's calendar is "Microsoft Ignite" whatever the hell that is.

Is this where we are thinking it will happen?

Looks like it is no longer Nov 5th, but has moved to Nov 7th?

Something about this just doesn't feel like a real launch. There is usually much more buzz at this point.
I think you are right, they are dialing the hype to medium low, probably low volume low availability due to high demand for Epyc?

Become a Patron!
Back