AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5000 WX-Series Processors Will Be Available Through System Integrators Beginning Next Month

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD has shared a new blog post that can confirm its Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5000 WX-Series processors are now available in Dell Precision 7865 workstations and will also be available at leading system integrators worldwide beginning in July 2022.

Go to post

Day late and a dollar short. This would only be news if it were the 7000 series

Even though I understand why AMD might be slow to introduce Threadripper upgrades - it's still a bit disappointing.

Hard to get both top-end single-core performance, a lot of said cores, and the PCIe connectivity to put them to work in a single socket.

Honestly I'm still glad to see these coming down. I have a boss with a 2000 series AMD Threadripper CPU. 12 core. As long as the motherboard is compatible I am going to recommend he watch for these. :)

Honestly I'm still glad to see these coming down. I have a boss with a 2000 series AMD Threadripper CPU. 12 core. As long as the motherboard is compatible I am going to recommend he watch for these. :)
I thought PRO threadripper used a different socket?

Yeah. Honestly I am absolutely baffled by it.

Yeah, one of the reasons I justified spending stupid money on this platform was because AMD committed to long term support for the platform at release. I figured I'd at least get one drop in generation upgrade out of it.

Since they appear to have skipped Zen3, and Zen4 is moving to DDR5, with all likelihood this means this platform will be a one and done.

It is very disappointing.

That, and I don't know where I go from here. The basic consumer models just don't have sufficient PCIe lanes for me, and the Threadripper PRO models are priced at an absolutely insane level for a home user.

As much as it pains me, I may actually have to look towards Intel's new (rumored? not sure if confirmed) HEDT models based on Sapphire Rapids / Raptor Lake. Either that, or just maintain separate platforms, keep the current Threadripper for the productivity/work stuff I do, and build a dedicated consumer grade machine around Zen4 for games, but that feels so wasteful.

One of the selling points of PC gaming has been that it is an all in one machine I do everything on. Hvaing a dedicated gaming box just feels so utterly stupid, expecially considering how little time I actually got to spend playing games.

TBH, Threadripper always just seemed more like a marketing stunt or some engineer's side project to me. I really like it, don't get me wrong, but it is such a small niche of users and cannibalizes from their higher margin sales. Can't say I'm surprised they have shifted it all over to Pro/Epyc, but it was neat while it lasted.

My guess is that threadripper got cut because AMD is selling everything they produce at this time. In a scenario like they, they might as well sell everything Epyc like as either Epyc or threadripper pro.

If that sales dynamic changes, they might reintroduce threadripper for people that won’t pay pro prices, but will buy something “better” than a x950 model.

If you've been watching vendor sites over the past few years the presence of AMD EPYC CPU based systems has gone from hard to find... to listed beside the intel systems. This means that AMD's ability to deliver EPYC CPU's has much improved.

My guess is that threadripper got cut because AMD is selling everything they produce at this time. In a scenario like they, they might as well sell everything Epyc like as either Epyc or threadripper pro.

If that sales dynamic changes, they might reintroduce threadripper for people that won’t pay pro prices, but will buy something “better” than a x950 model.

I understand the business dynamics, but the promise was that it would se long term support, and that promise has been broken.

At the time I was shopping I read articles like this one:

AMD commits to 'long-term' support for sTRX4 CPU socket used with third-gen Threadripper

You will need a new TRX40 mobo, but will not have to change out for a while

Bottom line: With third generation Threadripper processors set to arrive later this month, AMD has vowed to provide long-term support for the new sTRX4 socket. This is a good thing because the high-bandwidth sockets are not cross-compatible with previous generation sTR4 motherboards that were used for the first- and second-generation Threadrippers.

Without proclamations like the above, I would have no reason to be pissed. There are never any guarantees with these things, but they literally trold us there would be long term support for the platform, and then they proceeded to neglect it, and now its all but dead.

If they can massage the TRX40 chipset and motherboards into working with DDR5 with a BIOS update, maybe I'll take this back, but that usually isn't possible, and thus I am mighty disappointed in AMD for breaking promises and screwing over its top end non-enterprise customers.

Well, even in what you quote: they still say you would need a new motherboard, they were just committed to using the socket

Well, even in what you quote: they still say you would need a new motherboard, they were just committed to using the socket

They were talking about a new motherboard for the Threadripper 3xxx series. So, what I have now.

The Threadripper 1xxx and 2xxx series used a different motherboard.

This article was published in 2019 right before the 3xxx series launched.

So, buy a new motherboard for the 3xxx series (which I did) and then you'll be set for a while with long term support.

They were talking about a new motherboard for the Threadripper 3xxx series. So, what I have now.

The Threadripper 1xxx and 2xxx series used a different motherboard.

This article was published in 2019 right before the 3xxx series launched.

So, buy a new motherboard for the 3xxx series (which I did) and then you'll be set for a while with long term support.
Ah thanks, I misunderstood

Become a Patron!
Back