AMD: There’s No Reason to Buy an Intel CPU Anymore

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
To say that AMD is confident in its third-generation Ryzen products would be an understatement. That's especially true based on a recent statement made by Client Product Management Director Travis Kirsch, who suggests Intel can no longer compete.

"I don’t think there’s any reason people would buy an Intel processor after we [launch the Ryzen 3000 line]."

Just a week ago, Intel challenged AMD and Ryzen 3000 to beat it in real-world gaming tests.

“So you’re going to hear a lot about gaming CPUs this week,” says Jon Carvill, VP of marketing, says. “They may or may not come from certain three letter acronyms. That said, here’s what I want to challenge you. I want to challenge you to challenge them. If they want this crown come beat us in in real world gaming, real world gaming should be the defining criteria that we use to assess the world’s best gaming CPU. I challenge you to challenge anyone that wants to compete for this crown to come meet us in real world gaming. That’s the measure that we’re going to stand by.”

As always, the truth will come from independent testing. The mudslinging will have to suffice for now.

If AMD's X570 costs as much as the leaks suggest, people will start buying Z390's and Intel CPU's to save money.

What a mixed up world that would be if Intel goes after the 'value proposition' in the desktop market.

What a mixed up world that would be if Intel goes after the 'value proposition' in the desktop market.

It's actually not the first time. The Pentium D 805 was one processor that people used to buy and overclock the crap out of because the thing was super cheap and offered a ton of bang for your buck. I think the things were $85 or something like that.

Why do I have an eerie feeling AMD is about to eat a mega-****ton of crow in the upcoming weeks?

Yay, compition, now to wait and see what Cyrix pulls out of their hat. Muy jalepeno!!

It's a back and forth tug of war, I just wish AMD would tug a little more often. I bet Intel has some fun stuff in store for us, just as I hope AMD does too.

As always, the truth will come from independent testing. The mudslinging will have to suffice for now.

NV slung it at AMD earlier this week. Intel before. AMD giving some back now. Meanwhile in the little box world Sony and MS are already bragging about things they won't give us for another year. Fun times ?!? What a crazy mixed up world :)

It's actually not the first time. The Pentium D 805 was one processor that people used to buy and overclock the crap out of because the thing was super cheap and offered a ton of bang for your buck. I think the things were $85 or something like that.

I remember those. I had a +1GHz OC on air cooling.

Just remember, Ryzen 3 will work on X470 mobo's, you just don't get PCIe 4.0, which isn't even supported by the best vid cards. People can save quite a bit by going X470.

FPS, do the do. Ryzen 3 reviews on both X470 and X570 mobo's.

Just remember, Ryzen 3 will work on X470 mobo's, you just don't get PCIe 4.0, which isn't even supported by the best vid cards. People can save quite a bit by going X470.

FPS, do the do. Ryzen 3 reviews on both X470 and X570 mobo's.

You make a good point. However, I doubt there will be any difference between those two platforms with a Ryzen 3.

Typically, AMD and Intel send out the highest versions of the processors as samples. That means we will likely be getting a Ryzen 9 3900X. For motherboard reviews, you want the highest end CPU to stress the VRM's of the motherboard. However, since we'll be covering the Ryzen 3000 series CPU's, we might cover more than that if we get the samples, however, I doubt we'll have the time to test them on multiple platforms ahead of launch. We are only three and a half weeks or something like that away from launch. Even if got everything in hand tomorrow I'd have my work cut out for me.

People don't generally understand how much time goes into these articles. A motherboard review can take me 25 hours or more to complete. The first one for this site was probably more than 50 hours worth of work. I had to setup new benchmarks and run them against other configurations for comparison. This ate up a ton of time.

With this launch, we are talking about a new motherboard, chipset, and new CPU's. It's going to be rough.

You make a good point. However, I doubt there will be any difference between those two platforms with a Ryzen 3.

Typically, AMD and Intel send out the highest versions of the processors as samples. That means we will likely be getting a Ryzen 9 3900X. For motherboard reviews, you want the highest end CPU to stress the VRM's of the motherboard. However, since we'll be covering the Ryzen 3000 series CPU's, we might cover more than that if we get the samples, however, I doubt we'll have the time to test them on multiple platforms ahead of launch. We are only three and a half weeks or something like that away from launch. Even if got everything in hand tomorrow I'd have my work cut out for me.

People don't generally understand how much time goes into these articles. A motherboard review can take me 25 hours or more to complete. The first one for this site was probably more than 50 hours worth of work. I had to setup new benchmarks and run them against other configurations for comparison. This ate up a ton of time.

With this launch, we are talking about a new motherboard, chipset, and new CPU's. It's going to be rough.

Doesn't have be at launch. Just sayin. It would be nice to see a comparison of performance and overclocking potential of the Ryzen 3 on X470 vs X570.

I'm probably in the minority here when I say this, but I don't have much interest in pushing these new processors to their limits right away. I don't see a need, personally. Modern high end CPU's, coupled with a modern high end GPU, run games just fine at stock settings. More of a "down the road when newer games start taxing it" kind of deal.

Doesn't have be at launch. Just sayin. It would be nice to see a comparison of performance and overclocking potential of the Ryzen 3 on X470 vs X570.

I'm probably in the minority here when I say this, but I don't have much interest in pushing these new processors to their limits right away. I don't see a need, personally. Modern high end CPU's, coupled with a modern high end GPU, run games just fine at stock settings. More of a "down the road when newer games start taxing it" kind of deal.

Well then, I will keep that in mind. I have little doubt we will visit performance with the lower core count Ryzen CPU's in some fashion.

I'm with you. As I've gotten older, it's really more about stability and low temps for me.

The thing is, at 4K I need all the power I can get and I need it everywhere. Whatever I can do to get another FPS or two is generally going to be worth it for me. CPU does matter, albeit not as much as it would at lower resolutions. To what extent, I haven't tested yet. Beyond that its simply fun to push these things and see how far you can go.

Become a Patron!
Back