AMD to Introduce Adaptive Resolution Feature "Radeon Boost" in Adrenalin 2020 Edition

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
A new technology for maintaining game performance is coming to next year's release of Adrenalin. Radeon Boost, AMD's version of HiAlgo's Boost technology, will enforce frame rates by dynamically changing the resolution based on the content of each frame. Boost will essentially decrease the resolution when it senses demanding camera movements.

Boost intercepts and on the fly modifies commands sent from the game to the graphics card, optimizing performance frame by frame. When you are in action and the camera moves, Boost decreases the resolution to boost the framerate. When camera stops, it restores full resolution. This provides optimal responsiveness and smoothness for the game, even with weak graphics card.

Actually I think this is a great thing to have in a driver.

Ideally, you'd like to have a powerful enough card to never have to use it, but for moments where you don't - it would be nice if the game could dynamically adjust just when it's needed, rather than having to sacrifice all the visuals all the time just to accommodate the corner cases.

Wasn't this what everyone hated about Rage when it first came out?

All I can remember about Rage was the texture pop

Everyone jumps on adaptive res on consoles as “fake 4K”

Wasn't this what everyone hated about Rage when it first came out?
Rage I believe was the first to use mega texturing with dynamic scale for them to maintain a target frame rate. People didn't like the texture popping and changing so much.

I look forward to seeing this. Given time it'll mature if need be

If this doesn't introduce a significant latency penalty, then that's an incredibly useful feature for the future of high-refresh gaming.

Edit:
Got to test it out, it doesn't seem to have much of a latency impact.
However, it's not doing it properly - it's a hard resolution drop whenever you move the mouse, as opposed to interleaving high resolution frames with lower resolution frames.

The reason you would do it like so is because it's impossible to tell these drops in resolution during motion at a rate of, say - 240 frames per second.
Nor is it worth rendering 240 discrete, full resolution frames per second.
240 FPS is still not a high enough temporal resolution for truly coherent motion, but at high enough temporal resolutions (120 Hz is barely enough, but you can start seeing it there), low spatial resolutions start being very hard to notice as the various frames start to accumulate their details in the picture you perceive.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back