Analogue’s New “Pocket” Portable Supports Game Boy, Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket Color, and More

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Retro-console revitalizer Analogue has announced its latest product, the fittingly named Analogue Pocket. Coming in 2020, it's a system designed to satisfy any old-school portable fan, regardless of what handheld they grew up with.

Utilizing cartridge adapters, gamers can play Neo Geo Pocket Color, Atari Lynx, and other libraries on top of the Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance games that are supported right out of the box. All titles are perfectly scaled to 10x their native resolution (160x144) thanks to a special LCD screen.

The Pocket's 3.5-inch LTPS LCD screen is the most expensive component in the device "by a long shot" according to Analogue head, Christopher Taber. Claims of "pro level color accuracy, dynamic range, and brightness" tell some of the story, but more critical is the fact that the screen delivers 615 ppi at 1600x1440.

Analogue really found their market with the FPGA devices. First the Nt Mini, then the Super Nt, then the Mega Sg, now this which handles a whole buncha systems. I wonder if Kevtriss is responses for designing this new system as well. Before Analogue was doing any of this FPGA stuff, they used to convert actual Neo-Geo arcade hardware for use in the home. The Analogue Interactive C-MVS, or "consolized" MVS. I have one of those. Uses an actual MV-1C Neo-Geo arcade board (vertical cartridge slot), running the actual MVS arcade cartridges. Analogue throws a hand-carved wooden shell around the board, adds Razoola's awesome Universe BIOS, includes a built-in memory card (vs the original removable one shared by both the MVS and the AES) that I think is 16x the size of original memory cards, and sets the system up for output to home TV A/V formats (Composite, S-Video, Component, RGB/SCART). Other companies like Omega have been around for a long time as well, making consolized MVSes.

I really wanted one of Analogue's original Nts, the ones that used real NES chips on a custom PCB, but never had the budget for those limited edition items. Then they started doing the Nt Mini which uses an FPGA, but it doesn't look like you can buy those anymore either. I had been eyeing the Super Nt and Mega Sg for a long time, but I had other expenses this year which really cut into my funds. Wondering if they're gonna stop selling those at some point as well. They stopped selling the C-MVSes well before their FPGA devices started showing up. I'm glad Chris Taber and his company Analogue are doing so well these days. They make some ****ing awesome products. They keep surprising me with each new system they put out. I wonder what's next after this Analogue Pocket.

Become a Patron!
Back